Unique Places

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Unique Places

Post by maverick »

What places or features have you run across in your travels in the Sierra Nevada, that could have be located somewhere else too? Have you seen a peak or ridge line, that reminds you of something you have see in the Rockies, or any other mountain range/desert, other then the Sierra. The Bighorn Plateau has always been such a unique place for me, exactly for this reason, it's not something one would expect to see at 11,200 ft, or even much lower in the Sierra.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Re: Unique Places

Post by TehipiteTom »

Simpson Meadow comes to mind. To me it really feels like the Old West--like some park in the Rockies a hundred years ago, rather than the Sierra today.

Funny thing: when I searched Flickr for "Simpson Meadow" my search results included photos of a meadow in Rocky Mountain National Park, by a guy named Gary Simpson (hence their appearance in the search). And those photos really do look a lot like Simpson Meadow.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Convict Canyon is one of the most unique and interesting areas of the Sierra. I am not sure I can say it reminds me of somewhere else, but I am sure there are other places on earth with the swirling colors and striking contrasts seen in the rocks there. It is truly a psychedelic canyon.
joshuacourter
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by joshuacourter »

Headwaters of the Little Kern River in the Golden Trout Wilderness is one that comes to mind. It is a unique place and nothing quite like it within the GTW. The first 3 miles starting south of Farewell Gap provide colors from metamorphic rocks of browns, reds, pale pinks, whites, mixing in with the contact between igneous rocks. To top of the geology the valley and trail is along the Farewell Gap fault line. Moss and grass riparian areas near springs. High elevation lakes surround the area and outlet down into the small valley that is the headwaters of the Little Kern River. Depending when you go, the air can be filled with the aroma of wildflowers including patches of wild onions. Very few people go here and I have always found solitude.

Thunder Basin at the Headwaters of the Kern River, specifically Lake South America. Went there for the first time last year and thoroughly enjoyed the ruggedness of the peaks that surround you. Several water bodies all coming together to enter the Kern River canyon. I was unable to stay long due to a thunderstorm (yes, living up to its name) so we had to descend in elevation. Would love to go back and make a base camp there for a few days.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Will also add Benson Lake to the list, how many Sierra lakes have such a beach, none.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
dougieb
Topix Regular

Post by dougieb »

I remember seeing Red Slate Mountain for the first time, from around Tully Lake, and I thought- wow that is magnificent. It is just so smooth and red. I don't know if it is necessarily "out of place," but it was so different from the granite I was used to and it stands out in my mind.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Similar to Red Slate Mountain- the upper reaches of Convict Lake

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... _merge.jpg[/rimg]
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Agree with Mav about Benson Lake. Was completely blown away on my first trip there after walking through the trees to the white sand beach. I have never seen anything approaching that in the Sierra.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I know you think you've seen this too many times but I think it's appropriate again
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I know you think you've seen this too many times but I think it's appropriate again
Perfect shot, especially if you scrolled up to the shoreline on the picture, so only the lake and the young man is showing, you would never even think that this was taken in the Sierra or even in the mountains.