Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Post by gary c. »

Very nice of him. :thumbsup:
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Post by Thebrenner »

EXcellent! And certainly you cannot say no to that! How wonderful he gave you the tent ! I'll be looking forward to reading your review once you take it out into the field!
Yeah!
Brenner
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Condensation and misting, from what I've been able to understand, depend on dew point, location, and pitch. Then the venting of the particular tent comes into play. I've used Marmot, Hilleberg, MSR, Z-Packs, MLD, and been disappointed countless times over the years. I now use a Z-Packs Hexamid with the bug net, combined with a super lightweight MLD sleeping bag bivy if raining heavily (so I can crawl into tarp without soaking sleeping bag). I also had my down quilt made of water resistant outer fabric. I find this to be the lightest, most efficient combination for the Sierra (but not durable, and it's expensive). I mainly try to know the dew point (if I have recent info) and pay attention to location and pitch.

For coastal hiking, and for any other environment where the dew point is going to be unfavorable, I've never been disappointed in Integral Designs. I've used the MK-1 (we've had one for 15 years, and recently bought another), which is capacious for 1, and can sleep 2 without a lot of gear. It stands up to very heavy winds, and, in my experience, just doesn't condense. I have seen frost on the poles in the morning, but never gotten wet inside. Pitching is a breeze, even in a storm. It has a groundcloth, but I've carried it without many times to save weight. Both times we got the two door model, but I'm sure 1 door would be fine. It is not an ultralight--about 4.5 lbs. I think, but you would have to see what the newer models say. The key to its dryness, in my opinion, is the fabric. I forget the name of the fabric--good grief, I'm a lot of help. Canadian company. Very experienced packer in Washington state recommended them to me years ago.

If I were going to a wet environment, I would carry the extra pound this tent might entail. No need for bivy, water resistant outer material for sleeping bag, or any other stuff. Added benefit--it's four season tent and does extremely well in snow. IMHO, to get true condensation protection, you might have to get a heavier, four-season tent.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Thebrenner wrote:For the past 3 years I have used the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. I
Another tent I'm interested in is the Nemo Hornet 1p. It is double walled, and has a side entry door. It weighs 29 ounces.

I'll be curious to see what you settle on!
brenner
@thebrenner - did you ever check out the Nemo Hornet 1P? I have been thinking a lot about making this upgrade and while some folks steering me to BA Fly Creek HV 1P, this tent seems to be tugging at me a bit more.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

just found this thread - not much to add from my end. I used to hike with a cheap ebay sourced 7 pound Sierra Designs tent before I bought a discounted Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 3 (I think back then it was $300). Three person (tight), or 2 person spacious tent, 5 pounds easily split by the group. Have been using it since 2009 and the tent is still in perfect shape. Love it so much, I just bought a UL1 one person tent when I saw it on sale, because the 3 person is just a little much for myself, although back in the day, a 5 pound tent would have been a really light tent even for one person :)

I don't know why they don't use things like cuben fiber or other ultra light materials at Big Agnes, but I do know what they use lasts a long time. I haven't had a single stitch fail and the poles are perfect even after many storms and snow loading. Easy setup with the clip system is important to me, and the storage space under the fly is another must have. I'm not an weight weenie, but I like light gear that works and is reliable. The Big Agnes Copper Spur tents definitely fall into that category.

I also have a BA Speedhouse SL 1 person tent from 2009, but it failed miserably in the ventilation department. I only used it once for a few days in fall in the Sierra. Really should sell it, because I will never use it again. First night out I had ice on my sleeping bag on Whitney, with massive condensation on the inside each following night.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

sambieni wrote:
Thebrenner wrote:For the past 3 years I have used the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1. I
Another tent I'm interested in is the Nemo Hornet 1p. It is double walled, and has a side entry door. It weighs 29 ounces.

I'll be curious to see what you settle on!
brenner
@thebrenner - did you ever check out the Nemo Hornet 1P? I have been thinking a lot about making this upgrade and while some folks steering me to BA Fly Creek HV 1P, this tent seems to be tugging at me a bit more.
Well, I just went to backcountry.com the other day and suprisingly was able to grab the Nemo Hornet 1P at 33% off! It was completely unexpected sale deal. Too good not to pass. I was thinking would use for solo trips to drop weight from my Copper Spur 2 UL (which I also love), plus something pointed me this way over the Fly Creek. And best of all, checked backcountry.com next day and price back up to MSRP. Sweet!

I will set up at home next few weeks to test it out. Will kick its real tires later this summer followed by full review.

(Just hope my wife doesn't find out about my this gift to myself.... ;) )
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

LOL. My husband bought a border collie puppy, a new pickup and an Airstream trailer as gifts for himself without consulting me! I doubt your wife will complain about one little tent.

So far the Copper Spur is working out fine, just a bit too heavy for my likes.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

WD,

I have a Tarptent Moment DW and it's great. I feel very secure in heavy weather in it. They changed the fly material a few years back. Misting hasn't been an issue since. I have a 2009 Contrail also and am familiar with the misting issue in the old single wall tents.

If the Copper Spur doesn't work out, Henry has a new 1 person tent out that looks like it might fill your needs. https://www.tarptent.com/bowfin1.html

Free standing, double wall at 37 oz.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

f the Copper Spur doesn't work out, Henry has a new 1 person tent out that looks like it might fill your needs. https://www.tarptent.com/bowfin1.html
Yep, the Bowfin addresses the main grip I have about the Rainbow, dual side entry, it is my new tent for the season. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org