2 Night trip out of Edison

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Fletch
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

2 Night trip out of Edison

Post by Fletch »

Does anyone have a good suggestion for a two night trip out off Edison? I live about 3 hours away so I could leave early and still get in a decent first day on the trail. Basically looking for some high alpine views and maybe a little fishing. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Fletch on Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2 Night trip out of Edison

Post by maverick »

Hi Fletch,

Welcome to HST! Please read: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

If you wanted to do three days out of Edison

Graveyard Lakes for day one
Over the pass into Squaw and CHief Lake.
Day Three back over Silver pass to Edison

Or we did a nice out and back years ago early in the season---out to Laurel Creek on Day one, the up to Laurel/Grinnel Lakes on day two.. Day three is all downhill back to the ferry.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I loved our hike to Devils Bathtub. The trail was not all that scenic but once at the lake it was beautiful and the fishing was good for brookies and bows. Somewhere on here is a report with pictures of my trip.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

I'll assume you are not too experienced, nor familiar with the topographic map of that zone, of average condition carrying average loads?

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=37.40597,-118.92721&z=13&t=T

From the Edison Vermillion Trailhead the only one night/2 day lake close enough for most backpackers of average condition carrying usual loads and on a trail is Devils Bathtub. For 2 nights/3 days Graveyard Lakes or Mott Lake or Bluejay Lakes are possible with the G Lks best. Beyond those waters, for those in average condition carrying average loads one really needs more days.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

I would lean toward Mott and/or Bluejay if the ferry is running (which it should be, since this isn't a drought year)--the ferry cuts off about 5 miles. My experience of Graveyard Lakes is that the main lake tends to be extremely crowded; Mott has its share of people too, but not as bad as Graveyard. Bluejay Lakes are less crowded than Mott. Two nights at Mott (or 1 at Mott, 1 at Bluejay) would give you a layover day to explore around Bighorn and Rosy Finch Lakes.

Or, if you're up for not-very-challenging cross-country...I did a pretty cool 3-day/2-night trip out of Edison. Day 1 up Bear Ridge to the JMT junction then off-trail to the lakes below Recess Peak; day 2 over to the lakes north of Volcanic Knob (what I call "One-Halfth Recess"); day 3 back to the trailhead. Trip report here.
Fletch
Topix Novice

Post by Fletch »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Great community here.
I would imagine that I'm in a pretty common category. I did quite a bit of hiking and backpacking as a youth. Now that my kids are getting older we've been doing a lot of car camping and hiking. I'm feeling the urge to get back out in the high country beyond car camping. I'd feel comfortable with Level 2 and even cross country as navigation has always come pretty natural to me.

Thanks for the trip suggestions on the 2 night trip. Graveyard Lakes looks like a good option. I was also thinking about an out and back up Mono Creek towards Mono pass with a diversion up one of the recesses. I would prefer to do a loop, but I think that will require extending the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AaronRDavis
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by AaronRDavis »

I once did a 2 night trip out of Edison. Well, technically I slept at the trailhead and got started at about 6am on the first day. Made it through Graveyard Lakes, then up and over a pretty straightforward Class 2 "Silver fox pass", eventually getting to Peter Pande Lake. It was a pretty tiring day, but then I enjoyed spending the whole next day with no pack, exploring the basin above Peter Pande. After the 2nd night, got another early start and made it back out to Edison by afternoon (a pretty gradual downhill the whole way made for a fast hike out). The night at the trailhead helped with acclimating. The day 1 hike would have been pretty rough after driving the 3 hours up to Edison.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would also recommend the Devil's Bathtub, pretty lake with great views, but if you something a little more challenging, then go to Mott Lake and use it as a basecamp, and then go visit the pretty Blue Jay Lakes near-by.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org