Photo Report: Beartooths 2014

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
urnotreal
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Photo Report: Beartooths 2014

Post by urnotreal »

It's the middle of March, the height of summer planning season, a time when most evenings are spent pouring over topo maps and scouring the internet for obscure trip reports. So to celebrate, here is a quick description and a fair number of photos from one of my all time favorite backpacking trips, a trip that originated on one of these March evenings: an 8 day solo, mostly cross-country excursion into the heart of the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, a beautiful granite paradise in south central Montana. I developed all routes straight from maps, and as a result, had to alter plans periodically on the occasion that the terrain presented itself differently than expected, but then reading and adapting to the environment is one of my favorite aspects of trips like these. Enjoy

http://www.peteferrantiphotography.com/ ... oths-2014/
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Photo Report: Beartooths 2014

Post by maverick »

Thank you for sharing this beautiful trip report with us, the standouts for me were Second Lake, Upper Lake Fork Creek, Gallery Lake, Elk Lake, and the wildflowers at Crystal Lake, Erratic Lake, and Lakes of the Clouds.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Photo Report: Beartooths 2014

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Beautiful photos! I have not been into the Beartooths since 1968 when I climbed Granite Peak! I should go back.