California’s Biggest Reservoirs Filling

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

California’s Biggest Reservoirs Filling

Post by markskor »

California’s Biggest Reservoirs Filling After Parade of Wet Storms
Bazinga!
Reservoir Capacity Current Pct. of Capacity
SHASTA 4,552,000 3,582,246 79
OROVILLE 3,537,577 2,491,852 70
http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2016/03/14/cal ... pring-2016
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: California’s Biggest Reservoirs Filling

Post by rlown »

without those filling, we can't send "our" water South. We need two states. So we can sell water to the South.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Northern California farmers DO sell some of their water to the south, at large profits too. "Sending" water south alleviates northern California flood risks. I see it as a win-win for all Californians.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

You're aware of the two 40' diameter pipes they're installing to send water South, right? In addition to the two aqueducts we already have heading south.

https://garamendi.house.gov/WaterPlan

If the North is in drought, we shouldn't send water South. My opinion. Probably the Salmon's opinion as well.

We're supposed to save water so that the "extra" can be sent South where they obviously don't plan? We don't have extra from the 3.3 years of drought. WD, you can see that up close with Folsom and that you could walk out and touch the foundations of the town that was there before they dammed it.

Have you seen some of the reports on all the green lawns in SoCal? I let mine pretty much die until we got rain. I'm on a well, so I kind of care about water usage.

Guess they do have the Diamond Valley Lake they created in southern California, but If we're in a drought in the North, I don't want to fill that!

Just a thought.

Russ
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

We drove by Shasta Wed. (3-29). It is almost full, but the only remaining snowpack in the area is a touch on high ridges and peaks. Mt. Shasta is still well coated, but that's about it.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Southern California actually has historically had a better record of per capita conservation of water than we do. They have been planning and conserving decades before we have. The northern reservoirs are releasing due to being full enough to encroach into flood water storage. It is all about operating rules that are designed for the entire state's water supply system and flood protection. It actually galls me a bit for laymen to spout off opinions without much knowledge of the system and how it works. There are actually a bunch of really dedicated scientists and engineers who are doing a pretty good job of protecting the system and the water supply considering the entire state's needs. We should be thankful that the reservoirs are filling and not so stingy that we do not want to share a drop. There is also the matter of water rights. Yes, things could be improved, but it is a complex system with complex problems. It is overly simplistic to point your finger at Southern California as the culprit in this drought.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Shhhh, don't let truth get in the way of a good resentment.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Some more food for thought on water usage.

Of all the water sent down the CA aqueduct system (not including the Owens Valley and Colorado River system canals), less than 15 % of the water goes over the hill to So Cal and only about 5% is used for domestic purposes. If folks in So cal cut their water use 50%, it would save about 2 to 3% of the States water budget.

A very small percentage of the water in the CA aqueduct system is given to some water starved west side communities (Coalinga, Kettleman, etc), but the majority (75% or more) is used by west side 'farmers" such as J.G. Boswell and Paramount Farms.

Our "water wars" are really between competing agricultural regions from the northern parts and central parts of the state than they are about domestic use. The Sacramento Valley and Delta region farmers don't support the twin tunnels project being pushed by Sacramento, but the Westside farmers and water districts that sell the water sure do.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead