Freezing for bulk storage

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Freezing for bulk storage

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This summer I am going to the Wind Rivers and have four trips planned: two 6-day trips, one 5-day trip and one 12-day trip. I usually pre-pack all my food, except semi-perishables like cheese sticks. Right now I have plenty of time to pack up all the food. Years ago I would just use zip-lock sandwich bags. More recently, the dry food picks up a plastic taste if stored in the bag more than a few weeks. I think the plastic bags are made differently now. I buy most of my backpack food in bulk. Another thing I have am trying is recycling the inside wrapping of boxed cereal. These bags are really light weight and do not leave a taste on the food. I can actually cut in quarters and sew up the edges. I would love to be able to buy those mylar food bags - like bags now used for small size potato chips. I have looked on the internet and you can only buy those in bulk - like 1000 bags!

Another option- I have a "seal-a-meal" and am considering vacuum packing and freezing. At least that way, when I leave mid-July most of the food will only be unfrozen the few days I travel. I have a friend in Wyoming who will let me store the packages in her freezer between trips. I have frozen cheese before and it does not do well, so will not do that. Anyone done this?

Anyone have better ideas or experiences?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Re: Freezing for bulk storage

Post by gary c. »

I haven't gone over to see it yet but a buddy of mine says that he has been custom fitting his seal a meal bags to fit his bear can. He cuts them in an octagon shape and then vacuum seals each meal. He claims to be able to get 30 packages in his can. Anyhow what I was getting at is that if he can custom build his bags maybe you could do it with mylar. It's probably too thin but it might be interesting to spend a few dollars on mylar space blankets and see if you can make your own bags a fraction of the price.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Mylar bags, in any increment you wish:
http://www.packitgourmet.com/FoodStorageBags.html

There are also mylar bag/dessicant kits (50 quart or gallon bags) for twenty bucks on eBay and Amazon.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Thanks for the website link. The price per bag is a little shocking. Not sure I want to spend that much. But I will certainly keep it in mind.

I am not clear on how you would do an octagonal seal-a-meal package. You would have to separately seal 8 sides. Ugh! But I will give it a try. Maybe not as bad as it sounds.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

WD, I'm not sure how he is doing it either. He did say that he made a template that would fill the inside of his bear can. I assume that he is laying an existing bag down and tracing the template then just cutting/sealing the four corners. That would leave one opening to fill from and vacuum seal. I'll try to see if he will send me a couple pictures.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray