Last July solo bp in Glacier NP-Where is old man Grizz?

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Last July solo bp in Glacier NP-Where is old man Grizz?

Post by hikerduane »

Spent four nights in Glacier NP/International Peace Park in mid July last summer. At one point in the third day out, I was within a few miles of the Canadian/USA border. Cool. Did not get to see either a bear or old man grizz. Talked to two guys who scared up a grizz the day before I ended up jogging/hiking out. I was to stay one more night, but did not like the last nights campsite, had been burned over in past years. Went in and out of Packers Roost, a day before part of the Park was closed to the fire there. The day I exited, on the news that night in the motel mentioned the fire, my car was parked a few miles away. Only smelled a little smoke that morning when I left Kootenai Lakes. I had dry shoes/socks for about 30 minutes the whole time. If not from the rain, then afterwards from the wet foliage drooping over the trail.
Duane
Glacier NP 2015 040_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 049_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 043_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 041_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 039_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 031_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 030_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 028_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 017_opt.jpg
Glacier NP 2015 009_opt.jpg
[attachment=0]Glacier NP 2015 002_opt.jpg[/attachment
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Piece of cake.
The Other Tom
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Last July solo bp in Glacier NP-Where is old man Grizz?

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice. Thanks for posting. But...where are the glaciers :confused:
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Fish? Bull trout or brookie?
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Glaciers were to the east further. Next trip I'll hit that area, now that I have a sense of things there. I caught 3 Lake Trout at Kootenai Lakes using a fly and bubble. Went UL so no frying pan, did not know if I'd catch anything and would have had to take a different stove than my TD 12-10 stove or Starlyte stove. Saw a couple Swans there also. Missed seeing a cow moose and baby too. Hit it right, hardly any bugs.
Duane
Piece of cake.