Mapping software and websites

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Mapping software and websites

Post by wanderin.jack »

I do a lot of off trail and usually like to have a pretty good plan before I go. I'm also a refuge from the now unsupported TOPO! software. What I'm looking for is a one stop shop for planning routes, printing maps and uploading GPX files to an iPhone gps app. I'd like to hear what mapping software or websites others are using. I've looked at several and here is what I've found

Hillmap: great place to start and downloads GPX files nicely but the map printing option is terrible. It looks like the site hasn't been supported since 2014. I sent an email and got no response.

Caltopo: prints maps nicely with uploaded GPX files from hillmap but I can't figure out how to create or edit a route there.

Gaia GPS: I actually paid for this service in hopes that it would be a one stop solution for planning routes, printing maps and uploading GPX files to my iPhone. It does some pretty cool stuff and there is actually support available but it seems very buggy. When planning routes it seems to want to second guess me and plan all sort of loops etc for me that I don't want. Also when planning a little connector route on the JMT it errored out after being fine on a bunch of cross country stuff. Also no scale on printed maps. Seems like the free version is better than the paid version.

All Trail: this is who national geographic sold the TOPO! software too. I haven't tried it since it doesn't say that you can download GPX files and there doesn't appear to be any support so I've passed on it. Appears to be for folks who stay on the trail but not sure.

I'd love to hear the experiences of others. Thanks!

Wanderng Jack
Wanderin' Jack
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mapping software and websites

Post by Gazelle »

I just started using caltopo bought the $20 version and once you figure it out it works great, also came from TOPO which I loved. Figure I will pay some money so it stays around!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but if your phone app supports KML files you can download some of the HST member-supported layers on the High Sierra Map. A lot of work has gone into the Cross Country Passes layer and it includes many unnamed crossings.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
pakoR
Topix Acquainted

Post by pakoR »

I use CalTopo for most trip planning. Right-click on the map, select New, Line to create a route. Then, start clicking away. Select Marker to add POIs.

Also, Sierra Mapper contains a database of most developed trails and trailheads in the Sierra. You can click from trailhead to trailhead to create a route and it will automatically follow along the trail calculating mileages. You're not limited to trails; it has a button to go off-trail for cross-country travel.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

pakoR wrote:I use CalTopo for most trip planning. Right-click on the map, select New, Line to create a route. Then, start clicking away. Select Marker to add POIs.

Also, Sierra Mapper contains a database of most developed trails and trailheads in the Sierra. You can click from trailhead to trailhead to create a route and it will automatically follow along the trail calculating mileages. You're not limited to trails; it has a button to go off-trail for cross-country travel.
Ditto.

I plan on signing up for CalTopo's Basic $20/year membership when summer hits for the larger printing format options.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
wanderin.jack
Topix Acquainted

Post by wanderin.jack »

Thanks y'all! In the end I'm still using different websites as they all have their strengths.
Wanderin' Jack
jgaffney
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by jgaffney »

I am also one of the holdouts that is dreading the day my TOPO software dies. One thing I really like about TOPO is the ability to plot profiles. Do either CalTopo or SierraMapper offer this?
zacjust32
Topix Regular

Post by zacjust32 »

CalTopo does. Just draw or import your line, and on the left side click on the graph looking icon. You can even expand that and get more data than you ever really wanted.
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Does this mapping tool online no longer work? I love its simplicity and utility. I continually get error message when trying the link.
https://awhite4777.pythonanywhere.com/SierraMapperAlpha
grampy
Topix Regular

Post by grampy »

I think you got the link a bit off (it’s NOT a secure https address).

Try this (it opens, but can’t say whether it works well):

http://awhite4777.pythonanywhere.com/Si ... ault/start