TR: Red Mtn to Bench Valley

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tlsharb
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

TR: Red Mtn to Bench Valley

Post by tlsharb »

So this year I took a couple new guys with me from NH to introduce them to some "real" mtns (although there are many trails back here in the White Mtns that will kick you butt as hard as anything I've experienced in the Sierras). Still hard to believe you can get on a plane in Boston and by late afternoon be strapping on a pack at 8,200'. We did a loop from Courtright up to Red Mtn Basin then over to Bench Valley and out. Warning, there are a couple dead fish pics here-- though this is mostly a hiking story.

The Hikers: Paul, me, Christian (left to right)
DSCN3112.JPG
First night: Hobler Lake. Had a couple minutes to fish in the a.m. before hitting the trail, and the rainbows co-operated.
IMG_0062.jpg
DSCN3116.JPG
Day two: Followed the Hobler outlet back down to the trail, and headed to Red Mt. basin. 4th year of drought, but water was still flowing at Post Corral and Fleming Creek. Saw an amazing amount of deer on the climb from Post Corral to Fleming Lake. When we hit the big meadow past Fleming Lake, Christian and I took a cross country shot straight to Dale Lake, while Paul took the trail. We beat him by about 20 minutes. Lots of brookies to be had here, and a beautiful place to camp.
IMG_0075.jpg
IMG_0084.jpg
IMG_0087.jpg
IMG_0095.jpg
DSCN3152.JPG
IMG_0096.jpg
Day 3: Explore the north. We headed up to the Davis Lakes and Turf Lakes with the thought of climbing Mt. Henry. Never got to the top of Henry, but the fishing was good at the lakes. The last pic was interesting. Not sure what this critter was till we got home and googled it. Anybody want to guess?
IMG_0102.jpg
IMG_0124.jpg
DSCN3149.JPG
Part 2 to come.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ERIC on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Red Mtn to Bench Valley 2

Post by tlsharb »

Picking up the story...
Day 4: Dale Lake to Crabtree Lake via Hutton Col This was my favorite day of the trip. We left Dale in the morning, fished a couple of the lakes on our way to the col (Hell for Sure and Arctic), then came the ascent of Hutton Col. Paul kept asking me, "so we are really going up that thing because you read somewhere on the internet that it was doable?" I'd just respond-- "yup, cause everything on the internet is trustable." Actually it wasn't too tough of an ascent...last 50 yards took a little figuring out, but I love this kind of climbing. Made our way down the hill and then over to Crabtree. It would get my vote for prettiest lake in the valley. The sunsets were awesome. Last time I was here was 1969-- hasn't changed a lot :) .
IMG_0138.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg
DSCN3166.JPG
IMG_0181.jpg
Day 5: Decided to explore the upper end of Bench Valley. What a gorgeous little place. Especially liked W Twin Bucks Lake. One rainbow that totally swallowed a Panther Martin....so he became dinner. As you can see the sunset this night was unbelievable.
IMG_0201.jpg
DSCN3170.JPG
DSCN3173.JPG
IMG_1261.jpg
IMG_0205.jpg
Day 6: One the way home. We headed out from Crabtree and descended past the lower lakes, and then the steep descent along Falls Cr. Made it down to the North Fork of the Kings in pretty quick time. Set up camp, jumped in the river, and built a fire for the evening. Great trip....hope to be back this summer (maybe down in Blackcap this time).
**Sidenote. This pic is on the way down from Mcguire Lake to the Kings. I do believe it is right down in this drainage where they found the lady last summer that got hurt and was missing for 9 days.
IMG_1248.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg
Hoping for a late summer trip again this summer. Thinking maybe going into Blackcap from Rancheria, Would like to get over to Blue Canyon, and then get up Valor Pass on another day. And a note to all you here at HST-- for those of us who only get one shot a year at the Sierra, the info here in invaluable. Thanks so much for your input.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ERIC on Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged the two part TR into one thread
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Red Mtn to Bench Valley 2

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Thanks for a wonderful TR for a splendid region. Love all the pics, but the sunset pics are fantastic!!!!!!! Surprisingly to me, I have only ventured into the Red Mountain Basin once before and was really just passing through. This and your post last year have peaked my interest in this area again. Thanks!!! We will have to see what this year brings.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
Snowtrout
Topix Regular

Post by Snowtrout »

Looks like you had a great trip. Pics look very similar to the ones I took a few weeks before your trip. West buck had some of the bigger fish too.

Hutton Col......going up the north side looks a lot easier than coming down it but my wife and I won't be doing that again [-(
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Snowtrout,
I think I fished all but three of the lakes in Bench Valley. All but one had small brookies and rainbows. How one lake produces fish of greater size than all the others around it is still a mystery to me. I would guess it has to do with lower breeding potential and ample food sources, but there are other lakes right around that seem to be the exact same, and sure don't produce the same fish. Mysterious. Same in Red Mtn basin. At least two of those lakes carry large rainbows, and three decent size goldens. Who knows why?
ts
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Very enjoyable TR to a beautiful area, love the sunset photo series, thanks for sharing them. :thumbsup:
Steep stuff is always easier to ascend then descend. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: Red Mtn to Bench Valley

Post by rlown »

Very nice report, ts! Both this and part 2 (liked that finger point pic to the direction of travel in part2 :) ). Thanks for sharing!

Russ
sekihiker
Founding Member

Re: TR: Red Mtn to Bench Valley

Post by sekihiker »

Thanks for the TR with pics. Love the area.
Pulldownfrenzy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Pulldownfrenzy »

Great TR! Thanks for taking the time to post it. Yes, some of us only get limited time in the backcountry. Every moment is savored as a result.

We did 8 days in the Red Mountain basin last August, along the LeConte Divide. I'm trying to get photos from one of our party then will post my TR.
-Dominic D.
tlsharb
Topix Regular

Post by tlsharb »

Dominic,
What days were you in the basin? We were at Dale Lake on the 3rd and 4th, and then hiked over to Bench Valley on 5th. Never saw another human in the time we were there. We did run into a couple groups at Crabtree.
ts