LLV mosquito flat condistions?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

LLV mosquito flat condistions?

Post by hjldennis »

Hello all, we want to go snowshowing/backpacking for 2-3 days out of or around Mosquito Flat in Little Lakes Valley this month (March). How is the condition walking up the road to Mosquito Flat? I remember the road passes through some steep slopes. I am thinking about getting a lift upto the lodge.

Another option is to camp up in Panthet Gap in Sequoia. Not sure if we need snowshoes or just microspikes.

Thanks!
Last edited by hjldennis on Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wandering outdoors and the universe
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Re: LLV mosquito flat condistions?

Post by DAVELA »

Its a 5 mile hike on groomed road from the gate to m. flat.
I was there a few weeks ago.The llv will be beautiful with the new snow.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

DAVELA wrote:Its a 5 mile hike on groomed road from the gate to m. flat.
I was there a few weeks ago.The llv will be beautiful with the new snow.
Thanks Dave,

My plan is to purchase the snowmobile ride up to the lodge, and save a couple of miles. We have two children and I think the $10 per person fee is worth it. I will have to check if they offer the ride to people not using other services up there.

We will probably go toward the end of the month. I am concerned about the avalanche danger with the new storm. Checked Rock Creek Lodge website and they are very cautious about people going up there. I do have some knowledge in avalanche awareness, but no beacons or probes. I prefer to avoid any routes if I think we may need them....
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

How do you hire that snowmobile ride?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

DAVELA wrote:How do you hire that snowmobile ride?
It looks like that Rock Creek Lodge offer that ride if you are staying or eating at their establishment, but not sure if it's available if you are not using their other services. I should call them to find out.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Calling would be the obvious way to find out for sure. It reads to me as if the snowmobile ride is free if you are staying at the resort and that the $10 fee is for a ride to the resort if you are staying in the hut at Mosquito Flats. You can probably make arrangements just from your car but resort guests would have priority and cost considerably more.

http://rockcreeklodge.com/summer/winter/arrival.php
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray