Los Banos Wildlife Area Debuts New Birding Trail

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Los Banos Wildlife Area Debuts New Birding Trail

Post by rlown »

los-banos-birding-trail.jpg
MARCH 7, 2016
The California Department of Fish and Wildlife’s (CDFW) Los Banos Wildlife Area recently opened a new birding trail. The trail will annually reopen on the third weekend in February and remain open each year through mid-June.

The Wildlife Conservation Board provided funding for the 2.5 miles of paths that wind through six habitat types — seasonal wetlands, old growth riparian, restored riparian, sloughs, managed uplands and irrigated pasture. At this time of the year, birders can expect to see numerous species of ducks, geese, wading birds and song birds. Each area contains interpretive signs in both English and Spanish that feature bird illustrations donated by artist John Muir Laws. The trail is located at the northeast corner of the refuge, near parking lot No. 11 — the nearest street address is 7985 S. Wolfsen Road, Los Banos (93635). The Salt Slough check station adjacent to the trail contains additional parking and public restrooms.

Access to the trail is free to those possessing a valid hunting, fishing or trapping license. All other visitors 16 years of age or older must be in possession of a CDFW Lands Pass, which is available for purchase online or at license agents or CDFW sales offices.

For more information, please contact the Los Banos Wildlife Area at (209) 826-0463.

Media Contacts:
Candace Sigmond, CDFW Central Region, (209) 704-4772
Kyle Orr, CDFW Communications, (916) 322-8958
Source: https://cdfgnews.wordpress.com/2016/03/ ... ing-trail/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: Los Banos Wildlife Area Debuts New Birding Trail

Post by old and slow »

Russ, thanks for posting this news report (especially as I am just now getting into the world of birding).
I also wanted to let you know that at a minimum I check out the stuff you find (or crap as you recently put it!) and sometimes I even read it!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Los Banos Wildlife Area Debuts New Birding Trail

Post by limpingcrab »

John Muir Laws is awesome bump