Death Valley super bloom trip feature

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Death Valley super bloom trip feature

Post by SSSdave »

Visited Death Valley National Park February 12>16 at what was the peak wildflower bloom. Not as strong as the 2005 bloom of the century when I visited twice but comparable. The bloom in the most showy areas in the Ashford area has been on the decline since then but reports say it is still impressive and there are other areas at higher elevations that are now putting on a good show. Below feature on my website includes over 30 images. Above image is from a small ridge looking down on a wash out on a 4WD road where I disperse camped 3 nights. The yellow wildflowers are desertgold sunflowers that have a strong sweet fragrance so the whole place was a bee heaven.

That road trip is on Page 2 and 3 of the Contents page on the below link.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... les-0.html

I've been a huge fan of desert camping in late winter during wet winters for many years. Am planning on returning on a 9 day road trip that will most likely be later this month in March but could get pushed out into April. Much depends on what the current El Nino storms do in our desert areas.

David
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Re: Death Valley super bloom trip feature

Post by The Other Tom »

Very nice Dave. Thanks for posting
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

A great read Dave, thanks for sharing. I especially liked the Black Mountains image, no flowers needed to convey the beauty of the park on that one.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Cross Country »

Those are great pics. I hope you continue posting to help me with my winter-spring camping trips.
Thebrenner
Topix Acquainted

Post by Thebrenner »

I enjoyed your stunningly beautiful photographs of the super bloom, thank you so much for posting!!!!!
Brenner
old and slow
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by old and slow »

Dave, that is just beautiful beautiful work. Thanks for a great report! After just returning from my first Death Valley trip, I am now hooked on the desert as a winter destination and already looking forward to future visits.