"Harrison Pass Trail" betwn Deerhorn Saddle & Lk Reflection

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
limpingcrab
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: "Harrison Pass Trail" betwn Deerhorn Saddle & Lk Reflect

Post by limpingcrab »

Worrying about extra food? Just take a some fishing string and print out this document I made using info from a few websites:
Edible Plants.docx
I guess I'm not too worried about comfort but I always thought the recommendation to bring supplies for extra days was odd. You'd have to be out there a lot of extra days to die.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Here is a photograph, from below, of the upper area you circled in purple. The map showing the trail hugging the stream is certainly not accurate--I don't remember a use trail of any sort in this stretch. The first of the upper lakes is just above the V where the stream is coming from.
dsc00542.jpg
For obvious reasons, it is easiest to keep to the granite ledges on the left (North) side of the drainage. I do not remember having any problems at all following the granite ledges uphill from this point.

As far as use trails--I recall there was a use trail in a few rare spots below this area where the route wound along the stream and through forest--that would come and go. It was perfectly easy without following the trail, though. Beginning about here on the way up the ground became rocky and the vestiges of the use trail vanished. Coming downhill from Dearhorn Saddle I would just stay right of the stream in the ledges while skirting this brushy, wet area that you have already marked. Then cross the stream in the forest on the way downhill to Reflection.

Here is a shot looking mostly east over the lowest of the upper basin lakes below Deerhorn Pass. You can see that to reach this lake while staying out of the brush I climbed above the stream, and this gave me a little elevation for the photograph.
dsc00550.jpg
You will need to pick your way through this stuff around the upper lakes, once you get down from Deerhorn Pass.
dsc00566.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.