Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
kaylam87
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by kaylam87 »

Hi all,

My name is Kayla. I'm 28 and took up backpacking last year after getting into hiking a few years earlier. I try to get out to hike, snowshoe, backpack, or camp almost every weekend. I absolutely love planning trips for my friends and am already prepping trips for September... I have an addiction!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Gary and Kayla,

Welcome to HST! Looking forward to reading about your adventures in the Sierra and beyond. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
tyler675108
Topix Newbie

Post by tyler675108 »

Hey guys! I'm just getting into long distance hiking and am doing my first long trip this summer on the JMT! I am an avid fly fishermen from Michigan and I instantly got hooked on The High Sierra after doing Mt. Whitney!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome aboard Tyler!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Not much of a lurker... Kinda jumped right in once I found this forum - so thank you people for welcoming me!

I'm down here in LA, originally from the East Coast. Done some backpacking here and there in life, but realized, the whole reason I let my wife talk me into moving out West was because of the trees and mountains. Been a few years here now and realizing, lost sight of the goal w little ones' arrivals. So few years in, no time like the present to remember you goals and start executing. Interests are quite simply hiking and backpacking. Thanks for folks' kind help planning first few - of hopefully many - backcountry trips into the Sierras.
tweederjohnson
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by tweederjohnson »

Hello HST,

I've been (practically) a daily lurker for the last couple years. Can't tell you how much I appreciate all of the information, trip reports, and beautiful photos everyone posts. HST is my favorite way to kill downtime at work, and usually the last thing I do before going to bed.

My wife and I are good for a couple multi-day outings a summer, save for this last one when we got married and spent our honeymoon in Asia. We live in San Francisco and do our best to get to the mountains whenever we can, even if it's just a one-night camping trip.

I've only posted one report (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11585), but I'll be sure to post more in the future. Most of the trips I've done so far have been well covered by this site (Rae Lakes, Onion Valley to Whitney, etc), so I didn't bother posting anything (though now I know the information can still be useful to people, so I'll be sure to post everything in the future).

We generally stick to trails, though I'm hoping to branch out this summer and sprinkle in some easy cross-country sidetrips (if the trips we go on allow for it). I also picked up a fly rod that I'm excited to put to use this summer as well.

This summer, I'd like to do Quartz Mountain->Red Peak/Post Peak/Fernandez Passes->Quartz Mountain and then another one exploring/fishing the lakes and basins above Lake Sabrina. The information I've gotten from here for both of these trips has been outstanding!

So yeah, thanks again for everything. I look forward to being more of a contributor in the future. Who knows, maybe one of these years I might just show up at the annual meet-up and put some faces to names :) (I'm certainly tempted this year).

Take care,
tweeder
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you Sambieni and Tweeder for the official intro's. :thumbsup:

GioClimb
Topix Novice

Post by GioClimb »

My pal and I both stumbled upon HST as we started to research the SHR. Great site.

I’ve been trekking into various mountains for different reasons most of my life. My favorite place is the middle of nowhere and I have a love of scrambling (Class 3-4 stuff). I have no list of peaks I need to reach, or trails I need to hike. I just like a good challenge and the isolation of being where few people tread. That said, I do prefer a group of 3 or 4.

Seems like most of my focus this year will be in the Sequoia / Kings Canyon area, long-walking the granite through the thin air and taking photos.

I also lead some shorter, overnight backpacking trips for California Backpacking club.

-G
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Gio,

Welcome to HST!

Aurum
Topix Newbie

Introducing myself to the Forum!!! What a cool resource

Post by Aurum »

Hey All!

IDK if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. The Sierras are my old stomping grounds. After backpacking in the Boy Scouts and going on trips with friends to the backcountry, I've been inspired with a life-long appreciation of all things outdoors. Just stumbled on this site today--what a great place with loads of resources.

Looking forward to contributing to the community.

PS!!! I'm leaving to hike the PCT in Early May! That's how I found the site, but that's not why I'm sticking around.

Cheers,
Aurum