"Harrison Pass Trail" betwn Deerhorn Saddle & Lk Reflection

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

"Harrison Pass Trail" betwn Deerhorn Saddle & Lk Reflection

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: "Harrison Pass Trail" betwn Deerhorn Saddle & Lk Reflect

Post by maverick »

Did you read this one Teresa: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=7729
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

When I did that route (going up) I didn't even know there was an abandoned trail. Just headed up the through the forest from Lake Reflection (about where your red line is) and don't remember anything that caused trouble.

Maybe we got lucky but all I remember is a pleasant walk in the mountains on our way to summit Mount Stanford. Nothing that would cause any sort of delay beyond standard cross country wandering.

The meadow below Ericsson Crags is still one of my favorite places. It was beautiful!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

There was a faint use trail to the lakes north of Mt. Ericsson past the Lucy's Pass moraine and Ericsson Crag, the footing starts getting nasty only as one approaches Harrison, which you are not doing.
If the cross country section below Deerhorn Saddle is a maze of backing off drop-off slabs, trying to get through rough clingy vegetation, and crawling over boulderfields the whole way down (as opposed to just the boulders and talus I can see on the upper parts over the actual pass itself),
You can follow the use trail up to near the lakes north of Mt. Ericsson, just after Ericsson Crags. The terrain is not bad in the upper part of the basin until one starts to ascend up towards Harrison. Once you get up the sand slope to the top of Deerhorn, follow it a little to the east and start you descent on very loose, steep scree down towards the moraine and small tarn, if any water is in it. Head down towards Lake 10865 bypass the headwall down to the lake on its eastern side on scree/boulders to avoid the cliffs, continue down towards Lake 10500, bypass the headwall down to the lake by using the western side to bypass it this time to get to the lower part of the basin.

- See more at: http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... QYeKm.dpuf

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

If you can make it up to Deerhorn Saddle from Bubbs Creek, you have the skills to find your way down to Lake Reflection.

http://www.sierrahiker.com/DeerhornSaddle/index.html
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Since you are interested in doing some peaks in that area, Leor's site has some interesting climbs/routes (cool photos too) which may interest you and assist in putting together some cool crosscountry routes.
https://pantilat.wordpress.com/tag/east-lake/

Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.