120-180 mile hike, alternatives to JMT, HST, Big SEKI?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
powderhound
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

120-180 mile hike, alternatives to JMT, HST, Big SEKI?

Post by powderhound »

Can anyone recommend a good 120-180 mile hike in the Sierra for August of this year? I only have about 14 days max (12 would make logistics a lot easier for me) to go backpacking this summer. I did the JMT 3 years ago, the High Sierra Trail 2 years ago, and the Big SEKI loop last summer. All were incredible, and I would love to do the JMT again this year, but 14 days is cutting it pretty close for me (16 days would be perfect at my pace). Also I'm not sure if I waited too long to apply for permits. Any suggestions? I'm really excited to get out there this summer with how much snow and water the Sierra will have. Thanks!
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 120-180 mile hike, alternatives to JMT, HST, Big SEKI?

Post by cslaght »

Something from Cedar Grove in Kings Canyon and heading North from there comes to mind. Though you'd probably be repeating a lot of the JMT from there. Off trail travel? There's a lot of good options from there if you feel comfortable with that.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Several loops available that could involve Emigrant, Hoover, Northern Yosemite.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

You could do the Tahoe - Yosemite trail, but...
As you are now indeed experienced (no longer a newbie), maybe it's time to graduate - get off the popular, well-publicized, bucket-list routes and construct your own personal itinerary. Take a page out of Rogue's playbook.

Look at your TOPO; do some homework. Decide on a series of places that you want to visit, and string them together...50, 80, 120 miles long...can be all trail too. FYI, There are lots of good options Sierra and many of the trails don't see 50+ hikers each day...IMHO, much better hiking. Get off the freeways...maybe even try some easy off-trail work?

BTW, you could easily do (have done) a 120 mile route just through Yosemite, starting out at any variety of still "easy to obtain permit" trail heads.
Mountainman who swims with trout
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you really want to do the JMT, just start from Tuolumne Meadows instead and exit via Horseshoe Meadow or supple us the following information requested in this attached thread, and we can then recommend a trip based on your experience. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

oldranger wrote:Several loops available that could involve Emigrant, Hoover, Northern Yosemite.

Mike
markskor wrote:You could do the Tahoe - Yosemite trail.
This will give you a "big picture" of some possibilities in the north half of the Sierra (excluding Trinity). This map includes the TRT, the Tahoe-Yosemite Trail, as well as an alternative parallel route (you can turn those into a big loop) as well as a Hoover-Emigrant loop. There is also a loop around Desolation.

http://caltopo.com/m/086R