Part of Roper's Chapter Four: Aug. 29- Sept. 5, 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
cameragal
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Part of Roper's Chapter Four: Aug. 29- Sept. 5, 2015

Post by cameragal »

Hello, everyone who might read this--I'm the now infamously slow sister in the consensus group on shhsgirl's Roper trip. I just want to say that she is really, truly my ideal of a wilderness guide, not that we saw her that much in daylight. ;) And my "placid" husband agrees, at least placidly. She was kind (finding a site big enough to accommodate us that first night when we strolled in hours behind her), generous (handing over her stove and fuel as needed), resourceful (yep, her desperate solo survival trek from Cotton Lake to Izaak Walton), and fun (initiating the singing and reciting of poetry by heart around the last campfire), and the list goes on. Seriously, you know what a person is like when they make sure you have a spectacular experience, at their own cost one way or another. And my brother-in-law is EXACTLY the same, only different! THAT'S why we won't ever forget that week last summer in the Sierras with them. In fact, we're better equipped now than we were then, so (and this isn't a threat, shhsgirl) we hope we'll be back. :nod:
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Cameragirl,

Welcome to HST! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Greta report; interesting to see it coming the other way to me (earlier than you summer of 2015).
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Shhsgirl wrote:It is paella, my husband's specialty, but I've got to figure out how to delete that post!
I still want the paella recipe. I've been looking around at some recipes and want to make it for a group that I've backpacked with 30+ years.. :)
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by oldhikerQ »

Just saw this. Thank you so much for the trip report. This is the last section of the SHR that I did, way back in the late 90's. Wee followed the same route that you did. It was a great trip, one that I still remember fondly.
We only went as a group of 3, so we didn't have to deal with the fast/slow factions. Also, everyone on that trio was an early riser, so we didn't ever stroll into camp near nightfall.
Thanks again for sharing.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost