March 1 snowpack

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

March 1 snowpack

Post by oldranger »

Many of the snow survey sites have been measured and it looks like Merced river south has dropped below average for March 1.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: March 1 snowpack

Post by rlown »

So, JPL is using one of my favorite planes now flying it's mission out of Mammoth/Yose airport equipped with LIDAR. They measure the snow depth from the air now flying a grid pattern over the Sierra.

http://aso.jpl.nasa.gov/ the video gives you an idea of what they do.

They flew on 2/26, so the current results weren't available yet. But the link shows 2015. There was a news report on KTVU, but I can't find it :(
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Many of the snow survey sites have been measured and it looks like Merced river south has dropped below average for March 1.
With forecasters reporting the El Nino is weakening and the temps above average, we will not have the big snow year we were hoping before, but at least it is better then the last 4 years totals, unless of course we have a dry Mar and Apr. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
thehungryeye
Topix Novice

Post by thehungryeye »

Get out your snowshoes, there's more to come according to preliminary reports. Big storms heading our way, particularly the northern part of the state. Early forecasts showing between 4-8 feet.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Hungyeyes beat me to it. Forecast looking pretty good for some snow in the next two weeks. Lets hope it keeps coming.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
thehungryeye
Topix Novice

Post by thehungryeye »

WOW! GFS is showing 175" of snow over Mammoth area between today and March 11th. I'll believe it when I see it.

rlown
Topix Docent

Re: March 1 snowpack (Echo Summit survey)

Post by rlown »

Dry spell ate away at snowpack of drought-ridden California
7e323b5afb4445b58181772039e9c874.jpg
ECHO SUMMIT, Calif. (AP) — An unwelcome three-week winter dry spell left the California snowpack at just 83 percent of average, a setback for the state as it tries to break out of record drought, state snow surveyors found Tuesday.

In an icy meadow in California's central Sierra Nevada, state surveyor Frank Gehrke plunged poles into snowbanks, measuring how much snow was lost to a February with record warm temperatures and little rain.

Californians depend on snowfall for a third of their water and have hoped this year's strong El Nino system would deliver heavy snow and rain.

After a wet December and January, however, sunshine and blue skies returned, bringing temperatures in the 90s to Southern California last month.

The year had a "very good start, and then ... February just did not come through,' Gehrke said.

Gehrke's measuring site showed snowpack at 105 percent of average, compared to 130 percent at the same spot the month before.

View galleryFrank Gehrke, chief of the California Cooperative Snow …
Frank Gehrke, chief of the California Cooperative Snow Surveys Program for the Department of Water R …
California last year marked its driest four-year spell on record, leading Gov. Jerry Brown last April to order mandatory 25 percent water conservation for cities and towns. The conservation order remains in effect.

Officials say bringing the state out of drought would require snowpack at 150 percent of average by April 1.

December, January and February typically are the wettest months in California. However, late spring storm patterns dubbed "March Miracles" helped ease dry spells in 1991 and 1995, state Department of Water Resources officials noted.

Californians can still hope for such a miracle this week, when changing weather patterns promise to send a series of storms over the state, the National Weather Service said.

Forecasters expect as much as 7 inches of rain in Northern California in the coming days and heavy snow in the mountains.
Source: http://news.yahoo.com/dry-spell-ate-awa ... 19160.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yosemite NP:
This March the Tuolumne drainage is 101% of average and the Merced drainage is 89% of average. Last March the Tuolumne drainage was 16% of average and the Merced drainage was 12% of average.
Let hope the current storm and the next one arriving this weekend bumps up the numbers.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org