4 day Trip advice

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 4 day Trip advice

Post by AlmostThere »

Wandering Daisy wrote: I in no way want to play "wilderness cop" and tear down every fire ring I see, even if illegal. I can absolutely understand why someone would want to have a campfire as part of their wilderness experience. Go for it, just be sure it is legal and do it right.
I'm no wilderness cop. Just part of a trail crew, and know well how tired of hauling trail crew gear up another 1000 feet to rip out illegal fire rings trail crew can be, so if I'm passing through and can save us an extra few miles of trail crew duty -- I'm all over that.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by balance »

"USDA Forest Service: No campfires at Thousand Island, Garnet, Ruby, Emerald, Badger or Clark Lakes. No campfires above 10,000 ft."

"Inyo National Forest: Piute Pass Area: No campfires from the trail head to Piute Pass. No campfires above 10,000 ft north of Glacier Divide."

As you requested Graydog: "Let me know if I missed anything."

You missed something.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I spent 500+ day looking for good fishing with good scenery. My favorite 4 day trip was Sphinx Lakes. It's 2 days in, 1 day of very good fishing and the views are excellent. The cross country is easy because you just follow the creek to the lakes (lots of lakes can easily be seen in 1 day. If you go BE SURE to fish the highest large lake.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Me at Sphinx
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
snevill
Topix Novice

Post by snevill »

I believe campfires were allowed at 1000 Island up until about 2010-ish and some websites still identify it as allowing campfires depending on the source, simply because they aren't updating the information.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I in no way want to play "wilderness cop" and tear down every fire ring I see, even if illegal. I can absolutely understand why someone would want to have a campfire as part of their wilderness experience
If it is illegal, I will, because if I look the other way, someone knowingly or unknowingly will use it again, this doesn't make one a wilderness cop, but a good steward of the wilderness, to many people in society already look the other way or expect someone else to stand up. :\
There are not enough backcountry rangers to enforce the laws, so anything we can do to help ensure the integrity of our beloved wilderness, we all should do so.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I forgot to mention that Sphinx is out of roads end Kings Canyon. I also forgot to mention that it's 2 days in straight up and because of that it's only 1 day out and not a really long day either.
Graydog
Topix Novice

Post by Graydog »

Thank you for all the helpful posts.

I do want to clear up the point that Balance maybe misunderstood. I was asking for trip suggestions and if a campfire is allowed it would be a plus(meaning nice but not a deal breaker), maybe I should have continued (but thought it was obvious) with but if not then that's OK too. The trips listed were listed because they matched some of my criteria and not because I thought you could have fires there. I do not build fires where not allowed, even if others have illegally done so. Just wanted to clear that up.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Greetings Graydog

Even on a forum as civil and friendly as HST, sometimes our intentions don't make it through the process of typing our thoughts. I once got questioned for suggesting that people should backpack naked, although it seemed like a silly statement that was obviously facetious. I found out that humorous facial expressions and voice inflection don't come through typing on the internet very well.
I am looking for a loop or out/back trip that will allow us to do some fishing. I know some people here are not fans but if I can have a small campfire is a plus.

A few of the routes I have looked at are Graveyard Lakes on west side, and on east side the King Creek area and also 1000 Island lake (but too late for that with permits), also Humphreys Basin is a consideration.
Thank you for taking the time to clarify your plans. On review, I think you can see where the inference comes from that you want to have a campfire, and that you're considering going to areas where campfires are not allowed. I'm glad that wasn't your intention.

I personally feel that night time in the Sierra Nevada is a special experience. The sounds of a stream or coyote or owl, the feel of the breeze, the fresh air, and of course the stars in their glory. A smoky fire ruins that. Then the next people traveling through are left with soot and charred wood and rocks scarred with carbon for hundreds of years. Not everyone sees it that way, so we have places were fires are approved, and places they're not.

Many times in the high-country people build fires disregarding the rules, disrespecting Mother Nature, and denying the rights of future hikers to enjoy the fresh, untainted beauty of the mountains. Thank you for respecting nature and your fellow hikers. I hope that you have a great trip, make friends here, and maybe we'll share your Sierra Nevada adventure with a trip report.

Peace
Graydog
Topix Novice

Post by Graydog »

Thanks for the response. I can see why there was confusion which is why I wanted to clear up my end. Maybe we will see you on the trails.