Bear Creek question

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
tim
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Bear Creek question

Post by tim »

I'm looking at a trip to the headwaters of Bear Creek this summer (most likely early August) and wondering about doing a loop from Florence Lake (up Bear Creek, over Seldon Pass and back via MTR and the ferry). I saw that there was a trail from the Hooper OHV road via Poison Meadow that reaches Bear Creek near where the cutoff trail from VVR joins the Bear diversion trail, and that looks a lot more straightforward than getting a shuttle or walking/hitching all the way round the road. I assume there is no bridge across Bear Creek at that point?

Has anyone taken the Poison Meadow trail and forded Bear Creek there or have photos of that location? I've not seen any reference to trips around this loop, even though it is described in the Sierra South book (avoiding the Hooper/Poison Meadow part by starting at Bear Diversion trailhead and using two cars). I guess that is because of the difficult ford, though I assume it very much depends on the time of year/amount of rainfall. Another alternative would be to drop to the Diversion Dam and cross that to reach the Bear Creek trail. Is that a feasible alternative, both in terms of access to the dam and descending the hillside to reach it? Again photos would be much appreciated.

Thanks for any help.
Troutdog 59
Topix Expert

Re: Bear Creek question

Post by Troutdog 59 »

Hey Tim,

Kind of funny you mention this trail, because I was just looking at as well. You must have an older map or be using My Topo no?? I ask as the trail the trail is not shown on the current Florence Lake 7.5' topo or on the current online CalTopo version (Acme mapper either). It is however on the MyTopo web site and on the historic topos you can look up online. To be honest, I'm no expert on this area, but kind of doubt that trail even exists at this time, but I'm in no way certain about that. I have hiked in the general area on a cross country trip back in the late 80's. Our trip ended with a hike from Cirque Lake to Hooper Diversion Dam and I didn't see any sign of a trail going to or leaving from Cirque Lake. That said, our route was higher along the crest above Marcella on the way out and we came out higher than Bear Dome because I recall looking down on it and thinking it was a pretty cool view. We went right between the Infant Buttes down to a trail leading towards the Hooper trail head that's not on the new maps, but is on the MyTopo. Hopefully, Almost There or Eric will chime in. They seem to know the west side trails better than most. Heck, I thought the cut off trail from Sallie Keyes down to Blaney Meadows didn't exist, but both AT and Eric chimed in they had hiked on it recently. Who knows, maybe the trail you are looking for is there.

P.S. Nice choice for a loop trip.
Once in a while you can get shown the light
In the strangest places if you look at it right.

The Grateful Dead
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13223&p=99222&hilit ... ion#p99222

This Trip Report might help you with some of your ideas, though they didn't drop down all the way to Bear Creek. This sounds similar on what you want to do. I did Bear Creek from Edison loop in '14 and it is a beautiful area but we didn't really go south of the lake except along the JMT.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by RoguePhotonic »

The ford on the road is not difficult. The road is designed to give vehicles traction through the water which makes it easier for walking also.

I also doubt the trail is there but even if it isn't it probably means it's a sound cross country route if you want to just hike your way through.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

This is the Nat Geo map I was using. I was looking at the "Poison Meadow Trail" from the NW end of the Hooper Diversion OHV road, which then supposedly has a connection down to the Bear Creek trail very close to where the Cutoff Trail from VVR joins it. Does this trail exist?
bearcreek.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Tim,

Call Sierra National Forest Headquarters at 559-297-0706, they may be able to answer you question or at least get you in contact with someone who may know.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org