Who owns this lake? Yosemite or Emigrant?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Who owns this lake? Yosemite or Emigrant?

Post by maverick »

Update:

All the information forwarded to the agencies are now being given to the Stanislaus NF and Yosemite Lands Managers to figure out where the lake belongs, there is also a meeting slated with the USGS next week, in which this boundary issue will be brought up, the NF will also be requesting the USGS for any surveys from 1905 to confirm the exact/official boundary line designate by congress in 1905. Will be getting updates periodically, when there has been some sort of decision made, will update here, but expect this to be a long, drawn out process.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The Stanislaus NF Wilderness Manager will be sending out a team this summer, including some folks from the USGS, to confirm the location, and based on the outlet flow, they will then do any adjustments/updates on their maps (next year) accordingly, it will be to late for this years map print cycle.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav, are you attending?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav, are you attending?
Nope, no need.

bigd
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by bigd »

As the OP, I decided to go visit this lake over the Memorial holiday. TR will be forthcoming in another thread.

Looks like the lake belongs to Emigrant as the outlet flows towards Huckleberry Lake and Cherry creek.
Google Earth.png
Outlet.JPG
Mystery Lake.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Looks like the lake belongs to Emigrant as the outlet flows towards Huckleberry Lake and Cherry creek.
Sounds good.The Land Manager for Stanislaus NF and land surveyor's from the USGS will be going there in July, they then will be making an official determination on who/where the lake belongs. :)

k9mark
Topix Regular

Post by k9mark »

Fish or fish-less?
God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes
bigd
Topix Acquainted

Post by bigd »

Fishless. The anura worshipers have done a good job of favoring one species over another in most of the lakes and creeks of this area.
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Just a quick note on this lake. We camped at Huckleberry a few days ago, and there is a clear route up to this lake out of Huckleberry--one that should connect over to Twin Lakes and then back down to Cherry Canyon.

For our future planning...
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

bigd wrote:As the OP, I decided to go visit this lake over the Memorial holiday. TR will be forthcoming in another thread.

That is very cool that you checked it out!

Any chance that when it is full of snow and the melt is in full swing that it drains both ways? Or perhaps the better question is whether the little lake I called "Corsica" in comparison to the main lake and the "Sardinia" lake (the lakes positioned like Italy as the main lake and the islands of Sardinia and Corsica as the smaller lakes) drains the other way? Is the divide between Corsica and Sardinia? Corsica looks like it drains SW and then down to Fawn Lake, but it could be separated from Sardinia/main lake and be in a different watershed.

I have no idea why this topic has me so curious.