Hikin' Mike....

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Hikin' Mike....

Post by Hikin Mike »

Every so often some people e-mail me and wonder how I’m doing, so I figured I’d post.

Background:
  • February 2006 Right knee replaced.
  • Two more surgeries on my right knee because of “infection”. I go once a month to get an IViG Infusion…I have to do this forever.
  • September 2006 another surgery to do a skin graft and “Flap” on my knee.
  • October 2006 had to remove my hardware on my right knee. Basically I don’t have a knee. Two days after my surgery, I got a minor Stroke. I’m 42.
Update:
My speech/typing is getting better…much better than 6 months ago! I still have a few problems but there getting better.

I saw the doctor(s) March 28, 2007. Plastic surgery said I was finally “healed” and I don’t have to see him again…yeah! My Orthopedic surgeon (Knee) doesn’t want to try installing a new knee again. I still have a bad immune system and he thinks it will do it again…I agree.

Right now, my right leg has fused together…it just did since October, so I can’t bend it. Also since then, my left leg won’t straighten out. The doctor did some x-rays to see what he can do, if anything. I need to find out if I can put any weight on it at all. Should be getting a phone call this or next week about that. Right now I’m in a wheelchair.

Right now it doesn’t look like I’ll be hiking/backpacking like I used to. Most of the time, I’m okay with that…it could be worse, but other times…well you can imagine it. My wife Stacy has been my rock…I couldn’t do it without her. She jokes…”For better or worse; and you better not get any worse”. My two kids (9 & 6) now know that I’m not going to die soon (they were concerned) and that I will probably not walk like I used to, but we can do things together.

Now I can start to move on with my life. I’m planning on camping still; just it’s going to be a bit different. I’m still into photography. I can’t go to those remote places, but there are places that I can go to. We just bought a “new” van a few weeks ago. I can get into the van now so I can start going places again, in fact I went to church for the first time in almost 2 years last weekend. Went to the San Luis NWR on the way home from the doctors and took a few photos. Planning on going to Yosemite soon!

That’s about it for now. Thanks for listening…

-Mike
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

Thanks for the update Mike! I pray for you often.
The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

Keep hanging in there, Mike. We're all pulling for you. Keep that good attitude...it will take you a long way.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

Did you have to sell your beast of an old car? A shame if you can't drive that anymore. I'm glad to hear you can do stuff with the kids, I know they will appreciate it when they look back if they don't now.
Piece of cake.
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

hikerduane wrote:Did you have to sell your beast of an old car? A shame if you can't drive that anymore. I'm glad to hear you can do stuff with the kids, I know they will appreciate it when they look back if they don't now.
Still have both "Hot Rods". Haven't decided about that yet. I can always put hand controls if I need to go that route... :D
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Way to go! I know a young man who as a teenager was injured and afterwards, he and his dad restored a '56 Chevy, then had it outfitted with hand controls. Very nice car. At Hot August Nights one year, the crowd was wanting him to burn a little rubber, so he asked his dad how to do it. His dad explained how to operate the controls to leave a little smoke in the air.
Piece of cake.
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

Mike, all along, you've had such a great attitude, it's amazing! "Stuff happens" and what we do with it and as a result of it shows the true character of the person we are. I don't know you personally, but I've "known" you on the board for how many years, and have just seen the "tip of the iceberg" as to roller-coaster ride you've been on with doctors reports, tests, surgeries, and results. You've ridden this out with class and grace.

We may never know WHY somethings happen, or if there even is a "why", but we go on the best we can. At the blink of an eye, any one of us could be in a very similar situation as you..... and we can only hope to have your same amazing attitude. As always, my best wishes to you and your family.

Rosie
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Wow, thanks for the update, Mike! I didn't realize you were unable to go to church all this time. What a bummer! And I agree, keep the cars if you can. If nothing else, your kids will be driving age before you know it! :p

Hang in there, buddy.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Mike,

I too appreciate your update. Likewise, I admire your strength and attitude. It is obvious to me your family is very proud of you.

Shawn
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Hey, Hikin' Mike!

Rosabella said so well what we all feel, and I share her sentiments exactly. Even tho we've not met personally, it's an honor to "know" you through this network. You continually show us the best traits of character, strength, and grace. :)

Bless you, bro!
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!