Trip Advice - Western Yosemite Park

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Trip Advice - Western Yosemite Park

Post by maverick »

Maverick—Your dayhike suggestion out of Lake Vernon sounds very nice. You’re saying to follow the inlet creek from Lake Vernon up to Branigan Lake, then hike south beside the no name long lake and short lake, and then go due west back to Vernon?
Yes, the route can be a little steep down to the Vernon Lake Basin if you do not choose the correct route down from the bench down to the basin (class 2).

Another question: What is the name of this trailhead? I couldn’t find anything at the Yosemite permit webpage that seems to be it.
http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/trailheads.htm Scroll down to the Hetch Hetchy section, click on "View trail descriptions and mileages for this area", your trail is the Beehive Meadows Trail.

Can I reasonably expect the backpacker camp at Hetch Hetchy to have room for my party if I arrive in the afternoon? How quickly does it fill up? We’ll probably be there on a Tuesday or Wednesday.
You should be fine on a weekday.

Be aware, if you go in the late season water from Lake Vernon down to Tiltill is very sparse, so load up at the lake before your party descends.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Thanks Maverick! I appreciate this. Some more questions:
1. Should I just come back the way I came in rather than go to Tiltill and Rancheria Falls? Is that area interesting? I’m only hearing bad things about it (no water, crowded, steep).
2. Where are the good campsites at Lake Vernon?
3. I’m thinking of camping at Branigan Lake. Are there campsites there?
4. I asked about trailheads because this “full trailheads” site doesn’t mention Hetch Hetchy: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf It does list a Rancheria Falls trail head. I’m assuming this is the one I’m interested in (it seems to have a low use).
Sorry for bending your ear like this, but one doesn't get to drink at the font of wisdom very often.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Rancheria Falls is the trailhead for Hetch Hetchy. An alternate trailhead, permitted from the Groveland Forest Service office, would be Lake Eleanor. That would take you into the park from a higher elevation. There's no backpacker camp but there is a designated camping area at Lake Eleanor just inside the park boundary, free and with bear lockers.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Maverick! I appreciate this. Some more questions:
1. Should I just come back the way I came in rather than go to Tiltill and Rancheria Falls? Is that area interesting? I’m only hearing bad things about it (no water, crowded, steep).
2. Where are the good campsites at Lake Vernon?
3. I’m thinking of camping at Branigan Lake. Are there campsites there?
4. I asked about trailheads because this “full trailheads” site doesn’t mention Hetch Hetchy: http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/u ... lheads.pdf It does list a Rancheria Falls trail head. I’m assuming this is the one I’m interested in (it seems to have a low use).
Sorry for bending your ear like this, but one doesn't get to drink at the font of wisdom very often.
1. My preference would be to see something new, not doing and out and back trip, so going down towards Tiltill would be the pick. Besides Lake Vernon, the power of Falls Creek, the flow of Rancheria Falls, Wampama Falls, and Branigan Falls are the highlights of the area (Beehive can spectacular wildflowers in Spring), but something all these places have in common is to go during run-off, when the water is flowing, otherwise none of these spectacular places really impress during the late season. Water will be scare heading up to Beehive, and everything is somewhat steep due to Hetchy being at 3796, and Lake Vernon at 6564.

2. There are campsites all along the shores of Vernon's western, and southern side. There are some good sites back towards the lakes east and northeastern part of the basin if the other two places is crowded, but highly doubt the will be in Sept.

3. If you decide to go up to Branigan, don't stay at the first lake, head past it, follow the inlet creek, head south to the last lake on the bench, not Lake 7496.

I'm here to try to help make your trip as enjoyable as possible. :)

- See more at: http://www.highsierratopix.com/high-sie ... 6HWBS.dpuf
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Post by Pietro257 »

Thanks Maverick. I think you've given me the makings of a beautiful backpacking trip. I'll be sure to provide a trip report in September.