Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Post by edhyatt »

Do you mean the Flashlight Series https://www.sierradesigns.com/product/flashlight-1-fl? Look interesting.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

No, that design is already a few years old. Here is a photo of a 3rd generation prototype:
sd-mid-proto-gen3-615x415.jpg
And it may be wider. He was asking on his Facebook page about how many people use wide pads and if they like to have some room between the pad and the side of the tent.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

hjldennis wrote:
I regularly scan bpl website for their gear swap..., if you don't have account with backpackinglight.com, I can get the seller info and so on for you if you want to check it out. No need to spend a few extra dollars for an acct.Dennis
What's the lowest membership level that will give access to "gear swap"? I have just gotten too old and need to start selling off gear. I have at least a dozen packs and the same number of sleeping bags, lots of other stuff as well, some packs and tents I have only used 1 or 2 times.

Sorry for interrupting the thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
mschnaidt
Topix Regular

Post by mschnaidt »

Daisy,

A few years back I borrowed a friend's 1st gen Moment for a week long trip and experienced some severe weather. Like you I had the same issue with misting and wasn't a fan. I did like the tent otherwise. Enough so, that last year I bought a Moment DW. The new tent uses a different Sil Nylon material in the fly than the 1st gen Moment. I weathered some heavy thunderstorms last Summer in the DW and did not experience misting. If there was any misting it was greatly reduced and didn't get past the inner tent. I stayed dry.

Good luck on your search.

M
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I need to buy a tent.
Hi WD,

I'm getting too old and am going to sell all my gear. I have something that might interest you. I have sent you a PM.

Tom
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Looks like that would turn into a kite in a high wind. I am leery of all these new but untested designs. Extra size in a tent is not an issue with me, since I am small and most tents are too big anyway. One thing about paying $$$ for a tent is that it is a long-term investment. Who knows if in a year or two something revolutionary and much better will be invented. On the average I have worn out a tent every 4-5 years.

As for second hand tents, that would take a lot of convincing for me. I do not see people selling new tents if they are really good tents. Even a new tent, if not stored properly, can be damaged. And not all damage is evident - it just reduces the life span of the tent.

I need to look closer at the MSR. I have had a MSR tent in the past and although it had some design flaws with respect to comfort and ease of entry, it was weather-worthy and bombproof. I severely bent the poles by literally tripping and falling directly on top of the tent. I am a bit hard on gear, so although the Big Agnes UL tents look good, I wonder how long they would last. A statement on their specs worry me - not designed for the most severe weather. Someone define what that is!

Ed - you live there in a rainy and windy environment. I think if something works in England, it should be pretty weather-worthy! Have you had misting problems with your Tarptent? But then I think you Brits are not bothered by lousy weather at all. You probably grew up always being wet and think it is just a normal state of affairs. You have some inborn biologic heating system that allows you to sit out in 50 degree mist and be toasty warm.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Good to hear about the newly designed Moment. Yes, mine was a first generation. In fact I actually went up to Henry's house and saw the Moment before it was even available to buy. I live close enough that I can always just go up there and see what he has - set it up on his lawn and crawl inside.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Tom_H wrote:I have just gotten too old and need to start selling off gear. I have at least a dozen packs and the same number of sleeping bags, lots of other stuff as well, some packs and tents I have only used 1 or 2 times.
Why not post it in the HST Outdoor Gear Topix and give members a chance to buy? Some may even be close enough to pick up instead of shipping it.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Tom_H wrote:
hjldennis wrote:
I regularly scan bpl website for their gear swap..., if you don't have account with backpackinglight.com, I can get the seller info and so on for you if you want to check it out. No need to spend a few extra dollars for an acct.Dennis
What's the lowest membership level that will give access to "gear swap"? I have just gotten too old and need to start selling off gear. I have at least a dozen packs and the same number of sleeping bags, lots of other stuff as well, some packs and tents I have only used 1 or 2 times.

Sorry for interrupting the thread. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
It's $5.00. There is a gear trade section here at HST too btw.
wandering outdoors and the universe
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org