Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I need to buy a tent. My Tarptent Moment is slowly dying. The floor now seeps. Zippers broken. Twice replaced.

Mixed feelings on the Tarptent. Loved the light weight. Loved the room. Hated the condensation. Hate the stretch factor of Sil Nylon. But the real issue was the "misting". Even though I intellectually know that the misting during heavy rain is not necessarily a deal breaker, it always freaked me out when I was days from the nearest trailhead, stuck in a severe storm, and anxious. I would pack up my sleeping bag, sit on my sleeping pad in my rain clothes, and freeze until the storm stopped, in fear of tent failure. And after the deluge, it would freeze, and the inside of the tent looked like that Russian house, full of hoarfrost in Doctor Zihgavo! The tent never failed but I am such a worrywart that I need a tent that really FEELS secure. And I am getting older, more weight is an issue. 3-4 pound tent, maybe; 5 pound tent- NO. I want to be able to sit out a severe storm in peace, and not get soaked in a week-long deluge. Must be very wind-worthy too.

My "dream tent" has always been a Hilleburg. All about $650 - $700! :eek: For that price, I would expect a bombproof tent. They have two solo tents that are in the 3lb range. But will I really get a tent twice if not more better than another Tarptent that I can get for about $300 or less? The fly psi ratings are twice of the lightweight Big Agnes Tents. The double door on the newer Moment has solved some of the condensation issues. But the material is the same - still with misting issues. On the whole, I always feel more secure in a double wall tent. I do about half of my backpacking in Wyoming where weather is a bit more intense. Wind definitely a big issue and I get far into the mountains, where during a storm you simply cannot walk out. You have to ride it out. Since few people have Hilleburg tents, it is hard to get first-person opinions.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Not saying that I have an upper limit, but $400 is about all I really want to spend.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Re: Tents, tents, oh, what tent?

Post by RichardCullip »

They are above your desired price point but Zpacks Solplex and/or Duplex are very nice. Super light weight. Made from non-sagging Cuben Fiber. State-of-the-art tents.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

there was this thread on tents: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=12064&p=90723&hili ... age#p90723

looked solid, but everyone has their own desires in a tent.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I have the Hilleberg Akto, BA Flycreek Platinum and the GG Cuben Tarp. The Akto is the oldest, gives me the best peace of mind with wind and rain of the lot but is also the heaviest and not freestanding. Hilleberg has updated the Akto with the Enan and is releasing a 3 season version of the freestanding Unna (Niak) next month and that's the one I am lusting for now. If bugs are gone, I always pitch without the inner tent to save weight, including the Akto.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Don't believe the perfect exists yet (or backpack, or rain gear), some of the so-called state of the art tents come close, but at a cost. Make a list of features you absolutely need and those you are willing to compromise on, and then start looking at tent accordingly.

See what tent got the highest rating in this test, but the cost. :eek:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacki ... ws/Ratings
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

maverick wrote:See what tent got the highest rating in this test, but the cost. :eek:
http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Backpacki ... ws/Ratings
We have Hilleberg Nallo and BA Copper Spur, and looks like I made pretty cool choices, being no 1 and 3 on the list (although different hillie).

I bought the Hilleberg used but as new at about 1/2 price, and BA new on sale for about half price. Buying a used gear takes alot of effort.. and a bit of luck. I would zero in to one or two models and do local or Google search for used one. These days with paypal, you get some degree of buyer protection.
wandering outdoors and the universe
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Last year, I used my REI dividend towards the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. I chose it over the Big Agnex Copper Spur since I prefer true rectangle tents over the narrower one end. I love having the two doors and two large vestibuIes. I have not yet encountered a real rainstorm yet, but the MSR is great for condensation. When I've been at Coast Camp in Pt. Reyes, the rainfly gets soaking wet on the outside while the inside stays completely dry -- not a single drip. Also, MSR customer service has been great so far. I got a small tear in the mosquito netting and since it was less than one year, they told me to take it back to REI, telling me they'd probably simply give me a new tent. They were right. I recommend getting the footprint. Though I have no real knowledge on which to base this opinion, I don't believe the thin fabric of the floor will survive above-timberline rocky terrain, but then I think that's true of all the other tents, too (I've never seen the Hilleberg since at those prices I'm thinking camera gear that lasts my lifetime not a tent for 5-10 years).

Best of luck in your search.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Any suggestions would be helpful. Not saying that I have an upper limit, but $400 is about all I really want to spend.
I regularly scan bpl website for their gear swap, and there is Hilleberg Enan just listed for $500. Not a great price but advertised as new... and since no tax that's almost like 450 locally.

Btw, if you don't have account with backpackinglight.com, I can get the seller info and so on for you if you want to check it out. No need to spend a few extra dollars for an acct.

Dennis
Last edited by hjldennis on Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wandering outdoors and the universe
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

If you wanted a wind-worthy Hilly the Unna (3.8lbs) is a very solid tent; I've had one for a decade. It also is a true self-supporter which can be of use in rocky climes.

This said I tend to use my Tarptent Notch and MLD Solomid most of the time these days; the latter is storm-worthy but does have a fair amount of airflow (I see that as a blessing - YMMV). I guess my enjoyment of these tent is in their light weight. I am not really a 'camper' though - more a 'set it up and sleep in it' then go user.

For one tent to rule them all I think I'd go for a cuben mid. Modular. Tough. Pretty light.

I only have seven tents at this point in time :o
robow8
Topix Regular

Post by robow8 »

Sierra Designs is coming out with a new shelter; hopefully sooner rather than later. Here is how Skurka describes it:
The tent will weigh about 2 lbs: 18 oz for the fly, 14 oz for the bug room. It’s a double-wall tent, since the two pieces are fully detachable. It will be a very comfortable shelter in conditions when you really need a shelter: 9 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 4 feet tall (with ability to pitch it higher for more headroom). Due to asymmetric pole position, it has more usable interior space than any other shelter on the market for its weight. Awesome ventilation: two vertical side doors that can be fully or partially “porched” when weather allows; and a big awning and vent at both peaks to maintain airflow even with the doors closed. (The vents can be fully closed, if it’s really stormy; in those conditions, there will still be enough ventilation via the bottom perimeter.) About $300