Trip Recommendation for some newbies to the area

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Trip Recommendation for some newbies to the area

Post by balance »

Greetings dirtyfromtherain

If you would like some great information about hiking in the Sierra Nevada, I would strongly suggest getting the books "Sierra North" and "Sierra South". These books are filled with information about hiking from many trail heads all over the Sierra Nevada. They rate the trips Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. Along with taking a good map and compass, these books will provide a two or three page description of the trip, and give you a good idea what to look for and expect. As you become more experienced, you'll find cross country routes and more challenging adventures to tackle.

Take the time to be well prepared and you will have a great time in the mountains.

Peace.
dirtyfromtherain
Topix Novice

Post by dirtyfromtherain »

Thanks!
I will pick these up. Sounds good as knowing which trailhead to start from is confusing me a bit from all these trip recommendations and internet searches. Some simplification would be good. And yes, being prepared is tantamount. I have hiked and backpacked now on a couple continents in differing environments and I love the feeling of having what is needed to accept the challenge. So looking forward to diving into what the Sierra Nevada has to offer!

Best
balance wrote:Greetings dirtyfromtherain

If you would like some great information about hiking in the Sierra Nevada, I would strongly suggest getting the books "Sierra North" and "Sierra South". These books are filled with information about hiking from many trail heads all over the Sierra Nevada. They rate the trips Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced. Along with taking a good map and compass, these books will provide a two or three page description of the trip, and give you a good idea what to look for and expect. As you become more experienced, you'll find cross country routes and more challenging adventures to tackle.

Take the time to be well prepared and you will have a great time in the mountains.

Peace.
dirtyfromtherain
Topix Novice

SSSdave,
Thanks. Since I was called out on some etiquette in my post, I will do the same here. As a native angeleno the term LALA land is not much appreciated. Also, we are training in the snow up here in the San Gabriel mountains so we'll be ready and willing for the challenge!

Best,
C
SSSdave wrote:Your best choice as someone in LALA land is to NOT Sierra backpack in early June. Go on a car camping trip to the eastern Sierra.

Well lakes people backpack to in the southern Sierra given an average winter tend to be at too high of elevations to backpack to in June. Everything beyond easy day hiking distance from the Owens is simply too high. There are many more choices north of Yosemite however you two novices are not going to want to drive that far for just a 4 night trip. But if you do Mavericks advice is excellent. And as novices you are not going to want to be tramping through and camping on snow.

So limiting your choices to the south and lower elevations, a more reasonable strategy would be to forget about lakes and hike up one of the major western slope river canyons like from Roads End up either Bubbs Creek or Woods Creek a couple days. Water will be high making fishing difficult. On the other hands there are a lot of trout in those waters.
dirtyfromtherain
Topix Novice

Thanks wildhiker!
We are seriously considering your recommendation, really looks like a great fit for us.
Best
wildhiker wrote:Another option that is likely to be snow-free in mid-June and not too far from LA is the first part of the High Sierra Trail in Sequoia National Park from Crescent Meadow to Hamilton Lake. It is basically between 7,000 and 8,000 feet elevation on a south-facing slope, with great views of the Great Western Divide peaks over the deep canyon of the Kaweah River. This would be an out-and-back trip in early season. There are some possibilities for hikes up the side canyons to higher lake basins. As a bonus, you can do some hiking in the Giant Forest of sequoias before or after the backpack.
-Phil
snevill
Topix Novice

Post by snevill »

In a typical snow year we are able to get to a lot of great Eastern Sierra locations on Memorial Day weekend without any snow issues. It looks like this year will be a lot worse (or should we say better?) and there should be plenty more snow to come. As for some good "introductory" trailheads on the eastern side I would recommend the Cottonwood Lakes area, Sabrina Basin, and the North Fork Big Pine Creek areas. Each would make a simple out-and-back with plenty to see. Let me know if you want any details on these locations.