Sierra Foothills Wildflower Splendor

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Sierra Foothills Wildflower Splendor

Post by SSSdave »

The last couple weeks I've made a couple road trips to the Mariposa and Madera County lower Sierra elevations and foothills including the Merced River canyon areas below Yosemite Valley. On each of those trips I hiked an afternoon up the Hite Cove Trail on the South Fork of the Merced River that is well known for its spring wildflower slopes. I also explored a number of foothill backroads, both paved and dirt where I found some quite beautiful blue oak savanna grasslands with lots of popcorn flower and fiddleneck densely coloring those landscapes.

The above image is from the Mariposa foothills of lichen covered toombstone slate outcrops densely surrounded with wildflowers.

I've just loaded a new sub-page link on my below homepage, "Mariposa Foothills Wildflower Road Trips March 2007" that reports on those road trips with images and includes a 30 image slide show.

...David
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

What is the first flower, looks like a white fringed yellow doilie? Never seen that before. Thank you.
Piece of cake.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Thysanocarpus curvipes aka fringepod

Some of the small things we regularly pass right by can look rather amazing when magnified up a bit and carefully viewed. ...David
Hikin Mike
Founding Member

Post by Hikin Mike »

Great capture Dave!! :cool: