TR: Zion East Rim Trail (12/18)

A forum that'll feed your need for exploring the limitless adventure possibilities found in "other" places. Post trip reports or ask questions about outdoor adventures beyond the Sierra Nevada here.
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

TR: Zion East Rim Trail (12/18)

Post by KevinDo »

Hey Folks!

My friends and I decided to go for the East Rim Trail in Zion NP after the 12/17 storm. Boy were we rewarded with splendid views!
There wasn't enough snow along most of the route, mainly just 3-5 inches, so it was just microspikes instead of snow shoes. Temperatures dropped into the negatives at nights ...but the morning views were worth it!

Drive into the park. The eastern portions of the park still had a bunch of snow!

Decided to see how warm my layers were before embarking on our journey! *Also wanted to see act out a hollywood scene...*

Lunch break on the trail....LNT philosophy might have been violated....but I can assure you the snowman did melt!

Campsite for the night. Wind chill that night was in the double negatives.Very chilly but we still had a blast.

Frozen Stream

Microspikes proved useful!

Echo Canyon

Frozen river running through Echo Canyon

Overall it was a blast hiking through Zion after a fresh dusting. Hoping to get back out there to do the West Rim next time but for now...Off to Arches!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: TR: Zion East Rim Trail (12/18)

Post by maverick »

Very cool, love the snow and redrock contrast in the slots. Looks like a fun trip, even in those temps. Thanks for taking the time to post this Kevin. :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Did you still have to get a permit for the trail, or was it "self-register"?

Great photos. Looks chilly!
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Did you still have to get a permit for the trail, or was it "self-register"?

Great photos. Looks chilly!
Hey Daisy,

We still did have to get permits at the visitor center. I rsvped mine earlier just in case but...no one was on the trail so....well better safe than sorry ! hahah

Must say I really like the RSVP system for Zion. Shows you a calendar and all the permits available for each date. Also the permits given to you have a 7 day forecast from weather.gov . Pretty nice!

-Kevin
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

maverick wrote:Very cool, love the snow and redrock contrast in the slots.
+1
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

I really enjoyed your photos and trip report, especially since my wife and I in 1980 spent three nights on Zion’s east rim in the exactly opposite circumstances. We went in early July and so the climb out of the canyon to the rim was extremely hot and dry. We camped at an off-trail meadow near a creek and day-hiked the rim. We didn’t encounter a single person from when we were a little below the rim the first day until we were hiking back down on the fourth. A couple of your trail pictures looked familiar and so it was wonderful to see how beautiful it is with the snow.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by cslaght »

Amazing stuff! It's just incredible how beautiful this area is. I'd like to do a month of touring in Southern Utah, Northern Arizona once the boys are a little older. The frozen river in the slot canyon is phenomenal.
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jason »

Awesome! Thanks for the report. I'd love to see some stuff from Arches as well!
KevinDo
Topix Acquainted

Post by KevinDo »

Jason wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the report. I'd love to see some stuff from Arches as well!
Still looking through the photos but here's one of Landscape arch. Haven't been back to this guy for about 2 decades now. Still amazing as I remember it