Current snow pack, upper Kern 1/24-2/5

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Current snow pack, upper Kern 1/24-2/5

Post by John Dittli »

Hi all, been a long time, how's everyone, staying out of trouble? Maverick asked if I would let you all know about the snow up here

I was on the "Feb 1" Kern snow survey this year and I'm happy to report that most courses measured right around average to date. The upper Kern route covers a 100 mile loop from Cottonwood Pass to upper Tyndall Creek Bench then down to Little Whitney Meadow and up Golden Trout Creek back to Cottonwood. While back there, we received ~30" of new snow (3-4" of water). Most courses we measured prior to the storm were slightly under 100%, after the storm a bit above. The percentages increased the further west we went (Little Whitney was quite fat coming in just a couple of inches below 100% for the year (April 1). While we didn't have any east side courses to measure, from my observations I would suggest that the lower elevations of the east slope are well below average (I have yet to plow my driveway at 7200' and drove to the pack station up McGee today for some skiing).

With the warm weather (55° here today) and the lack of predicted storms in the next couple of weeks, the averages are sure to plummet well below normal before the next storm cycle, predicted around week four of this month.
_MG_7907.jpg
_MG_7979.jpg
_MG_8086.jpg
_MG_8156.jpg
_MG_8073.jpg
_MG_8024.jpg
_MG_8161.jpg
_MG_7993.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
John Dittli
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Current snow pack, upper Kern 1/24-2/5

Post by John Dittli »

Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
Tom_H
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Tom_H »

Absolutely beautiful photos! Those swirly little drifts were stunning.

Right on average... and that's the output from the largest El Nino ever recorded. I am terrified of what happens when La Nina returns.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Thank you John for the information and the wonderful photo's! :thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org