Can you buy a used National Park annual pass?

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
dave54
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Can you buy a used National Park annual pass?

Post by dave54 »

My geezer pass is checked against my ID every time. I have never been exit checked and I put the pass away once through the entrance station and never been called on it inside the Park.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

DAVELA wrote:i have no interest in Zion
Say what? Zion is an absolutely incredible place with so much to see and do....
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Say what? Zion is an absolutely incredible place with so much to see and do....
Totally agree, the Narrows, Angels Landing, Checkerboard Mesa, Emerald Pools, Great White Throne, and the secret Subway are just some of the few!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

zion like arches is a zoo and i cant stomach the traffic etc...
I prefer the backroads, backcountry of canyonlands,capitol reef,mexican hat,mon.valley and a ton of blm land.I dont think i spend much time at all within the parks probably more blm land that borders them.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

zion like arches is a zoo and i cant stomach the traffic etc...
Yes, compared to the ones you mentioned it is more busy, though the Subway is much less frequented. My favorite in Utah, is the Grand Staircase Escalante NM. :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

I drove from big water to escalante before it became gse.It was a bit wild in a 2wd.The Smokey Hollow area is lunar.I can just sit and gawk for hours in these places.Utah is out of this world.Nature,time and our insignificance in it is immediately apparent in those badlands.Humbling.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yeah, that place is out of this world, could easily spend a month there.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If you want out of this world, try going to Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness in NM. :eek:

hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

maverick wrote:If you want out of this world, try going to Bisti/De-Na-Zin Wilderness in NM. :eek:
Out of this world!
wandering outdoors and the universe
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

The cost of an annual pass is well worth it if you use the parks a lot. It is too bad there is not a bit of a discount for low income. I now have the free "senior" pass. Although I appreciate it being free, I would be willing to pay half price if the other half discount could go to a low income family. The pass is good for a car-load of people. So if you go with others it is a better deal.

Put into perspective of other costs, I thin the interagency annual pass is a good deal. The California State Park Pass is way more expensive. I just spent $100 getting my teeth cleaned. Just skip this once and you have a park pass. Or haircuts? Go without a few. Before I qualified for the Senior Pass, I bought a pass every year. It was one expense that I did not feel bad about because I feel it goes to support the public lands. Even when I had little money, I would never think of "cheating" the system. In my mind I sort of figured it was a donation to a good cause.