How to Make Your 2016 Morel Mushroom Harvest Successful

Have a favorite trail recipe or technique you'd like to share? Please do! We also like reviews of various trail food products out there. The Backcountry Food Topix forum is the place to discuss all things related to food and nourishment while in the Sierra wilderness (as well as favorite trail head eateries).
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

How to Make Your 2016 Morel Mushroom Harvest Successful

Post by ERIC »

How to Make Your Morel Harvest Successful

Griffin's Guide
Apr 6, 2015
http://griffinsguide.com/content/2015/0 ... ookCamping

With the 2015 Morel Mushroom harvest touted as the best season ever, we wanted to take a look to 2016 and put together a list of articles to help you maximize your haul.

For beginners, we always point people to Field & Stream’s article, A Beginner’s Guide to Hunting Morel Mushrooms. It is the go-to read to give you a complete overview of finding Morels.

Where to Look
Morels live in and on the edge of forested areas. Look for ash, aspen, elm, and oak trees, around which morels often grow. Early in the spring as the ground is warming, you’ll find them on south-facing slopes in fairly open areas. As the season progresses, go deeper into the woods and onto north-facing slopes.

They have tons of pictures of what...

[ read more... ]
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Re: How to Make Your 2016 Morel Harvest Successful

Post by rlown »

I have a friend in Oregon who harvests regularly in vast quantities. Anyway, watch out for the the reds as he's seen a few: http://missourimorels.blogspot.com/2009 ... o-eat.html

another link as well for the ID: http://www.mushroom-appreciation.com/mo ... ExWud.dpbs
As early reports begin to trickle in on the boards, often people mention finding false morels or "reds." These are usually a form of Gyromitra brunnea or Gyromitra Caroliniana. Many people believe these to be actual morels. In fact, a few years ago, I saw an article in the paper showing a man holding a very large one (I think it weighed about 1 1/2 pounds) with the headline of something like giant morel. So even journalists often make the same mistake, but these are not true morels.

The question that everyone seems to ask me is whether or not these are edible. And at first I would reply with an adamant know and argue my case. However, after arguing my case for over a decade, I decided not to push it anymore. I do not eat them; however, I can see how any hunter, not having found a single morel, might be tempted to pick and eat false morels when they find a nice patch and nothing else.

There are two forms of mushrooms that often get mistaken for morels in Missouri. Gyromitras that I mentioned before and wrinkle cap verpas. Both can easily be discerned from true morels by cutting the stock lengthwise. If it is hollow it is a true morel. If it is hairy or has threadlike stuff inside it is a verpa. If it is solid or mainly solid with chambers, it is more than likely a Gyromitra. Since the verpas are not as common or at least harder to see and therefore less encountered, I won't talk about them. You can learn more about them at here
Just a friendly reminder to know your shroom before you eat it.. :)
psykokid
Topix Regular

Re: How to Make Your 2016 Morel Mushroom Harvest Successful

Post by psykokid »

I grew up in Missouri and spent many a day in the woods with my grandpa hunting down morels, and then plenty by myself as I got older. Thats the way I was taught when I was young to spot real vs false morels. Hollow stems, real deal. Solid stem, no dice..

I have a friend that is a seasonal ranger up in Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest and he posted a ton of pics of his morel hauls last season on instagram. Made me quite a bit jealous, last time I had morels is when I went back to visit family a few years ago around Easter..
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

One place I found them in the Sierra was on Robinson Creek on the South side just below Barney Lk. It was a treat.
psykokid
Topix Regular

Post by psykokid »

Here's a couple that I pulled of my friends hauls last year from his instagram feed:
11273339_1572445473017970_1892917697_n.jpg
11252102_1581043182177718_1781107720_n.jpg
11240400_297551140369013_391929309_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Morels, asparagus, cream, garlic, black pepper, and a little salt. :yummy:
Just make sure to throughly wash all the dirt out of them, spongy, heavenly morsels.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

psykokid wrote:
Here's a couple that I pulled of my friends hauls last year from his instagram feed:

Nice Haul!!

actually, we did squirrel stew with the morels and wild onions. mmmm.