John Muir Trail - Reds Meadow to Bishop via Piute Pass

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
bustinwheels
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

John Muir Trail - Reds Meadow to Bishop via Piute Pass

Post by bustinwheels »

I'm hiking from Reds to Piute, but not sure if there is a BO prior to Piute in case we run out of time. Anyone have info on a BO point? Also, can anyone give me some advice as to where to have someone pick us up? Not sure if there are Ubers in Bishop LOL. :nod: Going in Sept of 2016

Any other tips would be appreciated. This time I'm going super light on the food, clothing (no nudity), but ultra-light is the goal.

Bustinwheels
:lol: Olivia C
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: John Muir Trail - Reds Meadow to Bishop via Piute Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Probably your only realistic place to head out early would be over Mono Pass to Rock Creek. But then you would have to deal with getting to Bishop.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by paul »

You could also go out from Bear Creek over Italy Pass to PIne Creek. Or if going to the west is an option, then you can go out to Lake Edison.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You did not say what route you are taking. Are you doing the JMT or the off-trail High Route? Bail-out points depend on which you are on. These two route diverge quite a bit.