Big cat sighting in Silver City?

A place to explore the natural setting (geology, flora & fauna), people, constructed infrastructure and historical events that play and have played a part in shaping the Sierra Nevada as we know it today.
MN2CAPisco
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Big cat sighting in Silver City?

Post by MN2CAPisco »

As I'm known to do, I made my way over to view a couple Sierra webcams over lunch and found an interesting visitor in the Silver City cam. Looks like a big cat of some sort wandering about, I'm certainly no expert but from the sign in front of it looks to be fairly large, any educated guesses? Bobcat? Mountain lion? Alien? Maybe it's a helper trying to rid the area of those pesky hose-chewing marmots...or maybe that's just wishful thinking. :p
Silver City Cam.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Re: Big cat sighting in Silver City?

Post by copeg »

any educated guesses? Bobcat? Mountain lion? Alien?
Looks like a Mountain Lion...nice find. Much rather see it on a webcam than in person
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very nice! :thumbsup: By the size it definitely looks like a mountain lion.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Very nice! :thumbsup: By the size it definitely looks like a mountain lion, maybe its stopping by for one of Silver City Mountain Resorts famous pies. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

You may notice that image is from about 6 years ago. There was a bit of a debate back then about the animal and whether or not it fit the scale of the rest of the image (e.g. looks like mountain lion but seems small compared to other objects in the photo).

Not sure why it's placed on the webcam webpage today, perhaps a place holder while the camera is not showing current photos.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I remember the discussion here on that pic, and the date caught me as well. I just couldn't find any proof here that we did talk about it.

And it is a mountain lion, or i would otherwise say "fluffy, come home!" :)
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Makes me want to dress up as a Yeti and walk around in front of the webcam.