What's the best wool gear?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

What's the best wool gear?

Post by balance »

Greetings

While wool clothes have been around for thousands of years, there's been a veritable explosion of Merino Wool recently. I like the durability, versatility and improved comfort of wool clothes. Good quality wool products get more user friendly with age, and they're great for thermal regulation through a wide range of temperatures and activity level. But with all the brands out there, I wonder who makes the best?

There are numerous sources such as Woolpower, Icebreakers, Smartwool, Minus33, FirstLite, Cabelas, Sitka Gear, and many more. Your comparisons or recommendations might be useful for many of us outdoors people who are considering adding functional wool clothing for our activities.

Synthetic fabrics have advantages and definite drawbacks. You might even say, "Plastic clothes aren't hydrophilic. They just suck."

Thanks in advance for any useful experience or information you can share.

Peace.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: What's the best wool gear?

Post by freestone »

I was a devoted Merino wool fan until I discovered Cashmere for warm and lightness, but it's not marketed much in the sports world except for maybe Patagonia. I do still wear a merino base layer but combine it with Patagonia's Daily tee to break the wind and give the heat a chance to accumulate between the wool layer and skin. I think the next "break through" in wool will be the reemergence of a Merino fishnet base layer that was so popular in the late 60s in a synthetic blend.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
oldranger
Topix Addict

Post by oldranger »

As a genuine "old school" old fart for backpacking I go to thrift stores looking for the old crew neck rag wool sweaters. Itchy as hell but I always wear either a turtleneck, long sleeve shirt, or both underneath. the three layered up plus western mountaineer vest and light windbreaker are my cold weather upper body gear during the summer.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Jimmy2.0
Topix Newbie

Post by Jimmy2.0 »

Love Woolrich, I have the red and black buffalo shirt. It's a bit itchy and does not pack well, but warm. I tend to get cold easy. Works well on top of my bag if needed. Also love rag wool socks, any brand.