Alpine Pass

Member descriptions, photos, and map locations of Cross Country Passes in the High Sierra. This forum is for information only - discussions should be kept in the appropriate categories.
This forum is a component of the HST Map. We need your help to complete the database, so please contribute!
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Alpine Pass

Post by RoguePhotonic »

TITLE: Alpine Pass

I disagree that this is even a pass but it's listed in books as such and I have crossed it so here you go.

GENERAL OVERVIEW: This pass connects the head of Alpine Creek into Tunemah Lake

CLASS/DIFFICULTY: Class 2

LOCATION: Kings Canyon National Park on the South end of Tunemah Lake. HST Map

ELEVATION: 11,180

USGS TOPO MAP (7.5'): Mt. Goddard

ROUTE DESCRIPTION: From Alpine Creek most any route can be taken up. I aimed for some slabs of rock to avoid more talus hoping for as long as I could. Once near and on the top you will have to talus hop continuously around the SE side of Tunemah Lake.

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Alpine Pass

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It becomes a pass if you drop to the lakes to the east and on to Goddard Creek; this would be a pass between upper Alpine Creek and Goddard. But who does that? I have explored going down about a third of the way and it is not easy, but it does go. So, yes it is not much of a pass if it ends at Tunemah Lake.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Jonathan Bourne made the traverse into Goddard Creek from Tunemah Lake. Except for the notion of going where so few have I can't see any reason to do this.
hurricaniac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hurricaniac »

I did this in 1977 (Tunemah Lk. to Goddard Ck.). Going down to Goddard Ck was the easy part, thrashing thru the buckthorn past periodic rattlesnakes for 4 miles down to Simpson Mdw was hellish. Worst. Day. Hiking. Ever. Reaching Simpson Mdw alive was like the promised land.
Img041 copy.jpg.800.jpg
Img042 copy.jpg.800.jpg
Img048 copy.jpg.800.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silky Smooth
Topix Regular

Post by Silky Smooth »

Great shots from '77!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Looks like my old photos from the 70's! Time degrades film color. I have had some luck at adjusting the color in Photoshop.

There are a multitude of routes to get between drainages. I would think if you call something a "pass" it should provide a path of least resistance. Not sure Alpine Pass in this definition would qualify for more than a non-pass to get to Tunemah Lake.