Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Hobbes »

Somehow the meet-up has erroneously developed an image as a latter day Sierra club event @ Tuolumne or Boy scout jamboree. To be honest, I've probably come close to hanging out longer with random people I've met along the way - either chatting on top of a pass, cruising around fishing, etc - than with the HST group at the two meet-ups.

First and foremost, everyone seems to fit a basic profile, which is an experienced backpacker who tends to hike either alone (solo) or with a partner. As such, while everyone is curious about meeting other actual people behind the names, the over-riding tendency is to seek out solitude and/or break into smaller groups after some initial socializing.

I would frankly be astounded that anyone would want to hang out for more than dinner & initial introductions, other than those who have met before in prior years or other organized events. In my mind, everyone will be thinking the same thing: I'm going to find my own private lake with some buddies. So, hopefully this false image has been dispelled.

However, there is another issue at play, and that is one of exclusivity. Let's assume 16 people make it to this meet-up - even though they are experienced people who practice LNT and would be gone like ghosts in the morning haze down multiple routes with very limited impact, it's the very concept that they were **invited** there in the first place that is the chief objection.

There's really no defense against this accusation, because those being accused don't need to defend themselves against this kind of charge.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Pretty sure everyone with an internet connection was invited, but i do applaud the LNT comment.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Pretty sure everyone with an internet connection was invited, but i do applaud the LNT comment.
HST member with an internet connection, LNT goes without saying.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
KingMouth
Topix Acquainted

Post by KingMouth »

Thanks for that Mav. I will plan on attending, if my schedule cooperates.

Some of the hyperbole had me discouraged to say the least. I will assume your rate of follow-through is low, otherwise the numbers would be huge. The write-ups for upper Kern meetup sounded like just the right size.

Looking forward to meeting some of you.

Hugh
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I don't believe anyone who has attended a meet-up has ever hired/utilized a mule driver. The entire perimeter of YNP is heavily trafficked by large mule teams to service the HSCs. While not quite reaching this degree of absurdity, the irony is rich & beautiful:

http://captaintahoe.blogspot.com/
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

A quick question with regards to the 2-night request in the initial post - if I wanted to stay both nights would those be the nights of the 28th and the 29th? i,e, arriving Thurs and leaving Saturday morning, or would it be arriving on Wednesday so as to stay there that night, spend all of thursday back there, and then leave Friday morning?

I need to sit down with a map and plan something out so I can snag a permit. Ability to attend still pending work, but I definitely don't want a permit to come between me and the trip if I am not busy.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A quick question with regards to the 2-night request in the initial post - if I wanted to stay both nights would those be the nights of the 28th and the 29th? i,e, arriving Thurs and leaving Saturday morning, or would it be arriving on Wednesday so as to stay there that night, spend all of thursday back there, and then leave Friday morning?
Hi R,

Yes, nights of the 28th and 29th.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

How's this for an idea: For those of you who can only do one HST get-together, and who are worried about crowds at the July 2016 HST meet-up, why not instead join the 2016 citizen search for Matthew Greene? (Sept. 8-13, 2016.) Every year, we wish we'd had more boots on the ground. Navigation and Class 2 experience is required, and Class 3 experience is preferred, but many of us who don't have super-advanced skills have contributed to the search. In most ways, I prefer the search to the annual meet-up, because everybody gets better acquainted, and who doesn't think the Ritter Range is gorgeous, and most importantly because it's hiking for a cause. PM Maverick for more info. Here's the report from the 2015 search:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13708

As for the one night vs. two thing at the July meet-up: Hobbes and I are the two people who've made both of the HST meet-ups ('14 and '15). Hobbes is an uber-delightful personality who suddenly shows up, is very engaging, and then, next morning, is vanished like a phantom. Hobbes has a limited number of days, so one-night is his MO. However, several of us decided that for the 2016 meet-up, we'd like to encourage people to make an effort to stay for two nights, instead of one, to get to know each other a bit better. That said, nobody is stopping the unherdable Hobbes, nor any others, from just staying one night of the meet-up, if that is your scheduling reality or your preference. I'll be happy just to have a Karl sighting. :nod:

Oleander
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

How's this for an idea: For those of you who can only do one HST get-together, and who are worried about crowds at the July 2016 HST meet-up, why not instead join the 2016 citizen search for Matthew Greene? (Sept. 8-13, 2016.) Every year, we wish we'd had more boots on the ground. Navigation and Class 2 experience is required, and Class 3 experience is preferred, but many of us who don't have super-advanced skills have contributed to the search. In most ways, I prefer the search to the annual meet-up, because everybody gets better acquainted, and who doesn't think the Ritter Range is gorgeous, and most importantly because it's hiking for a cause. PM Maverick for more info. Here's the report from the 2015 search:

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13708
Totally agree. :nod:

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Also weather/your itinerary/can you make the miles you planned all come into play. I plan on getting there Wednesday night day hiking Thursday leaving Friday but I could take longer to get there and that goes out the window. Or skip the day hike and leave Thursday. Last year I got there 1st and left 1st wasn't even sure anyone would show up due too weather so 23 people I doubt It, if so I WILL find a secluded spot and just say Hi.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein