Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by oldranger »

Hesitant to post this. But 23 people coming together at an off trail location? That is just wrong. Methinks some should consider alternative plans. Great people, I understand but totally contradictory to purposes of wilderness. Woe to the person heading to the Lyle Fork of the Merced expecting to find solitude only to find dozens of people scattered thru out the basin. I think there are better places for large numbers of people to come together.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

My plan is to go for a backpacking trip, if I see people along the way... Nice, if not I am still going to go. If anything like last year, if I see anyone else almost anywhere I go that would be great! I'll leave my comment at that!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

If a dozen show up that would be a very high ratio.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

oldranger wrote:Hesitant to post this. But 23 people coming together at an off trail location? That is just wrong... I think there are better places for large numbers of people to come together. Mike
+1.
Maybe just me too but - somehow feel that larger groups and magic places, (especially those well-kept secret spots, off-trail Sierra) are not the best of pairings. Yes, HST members will certainly respect the area but ...sigh!

Sort of explains the reason why not going...Unless family, three is even too large a group for me backcountry.
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If you have such a concentration of people, it would be more appropriate to set up a latrine at the camps rather than spread "it" everywhere. The best way is to dig a 3'-4' hole with a set of post hole diggers. Who get's to carry that?

you can wrap a lightweight tarp around the privy for privacy (assuming 3 trees), and locate all the waste in one place down deep.

just a thought.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

rlown wrote:If you have such a concentration of people, it would be more appropriate to set up a latrine at the camps rather than spread "it" everywhere. The best way is to dig a 3'-4' hole with a set of post hole diggers. Who get's to carry that?

you can wrap a lightweight tarp around the privy for privacy (assuming 3 trees), and locate all the waste in one place down deep.

just a thought.
Or Mav could require everyone to bring Wag bags and carry it out. :nod:
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
WarrenFork
Topix Acquainted

Post by WarrenFork »

oldranger wrote:Hesitant to post this. But 23 people coming together at an off trail location? That is just wrong. Methinks some should consider alternative plans. Great people, I understand but totally contradictory to purposes of wilderness. Woe to the person heading to the Lyle Fork of the Merced expecting to find solitude only to find dozens of people scattered thru out the basin. I think there are better places for large numbers of people to come together.

Mike
Well said. Other outdoor recreation forums organize "meet-ups" such as the annual Yosemite Facelift, where members gather to camp in the frontcountry and help out on projects that ameliorate some of the accumulated human impact on the park environment.

Quite an ethical contrast with arranging a mob scene in a near-pristine area.
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

I somehow missed this post until now. Not sure I can make it at this time but will see how things play out as we get closer. I know the area very well so regardless of my plans, i am happy to share beta on various routes and nooks and crannies along the way. One route I have not seen mentioned that provides huge rewards and an interesting route into the area is to take the JMT towards Donohue Pass and take the drainage towards Mt. Maclure. Climb the Maclure 'glacier' and cross the divide into the headwaters and make your way to Hutchings.....
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
KingMouth
Topix Acquainted

Post by KingMouth »

I have been following this thread since it was inactive in early November.

I was originally hoping to get the time off to do it, and went so far as to plan out an 8 day trip with the meetup in the middle. This is an area that I've never been remotely close to, and I normally hike solo. It was a little out of my norm, and after reading a lot of trip reports, it really interests me. It seems to be the same case for a lot of other folks too. So many that it is clearly too many.

Therefore I think I will do the same hike during a different week. Maybe ask if one or two others are interested, or just make another solo trip. It just seems like the setting demands solitude!

I hope to make another meetup in the future at a less popular locale.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have been following this thread since it was inactive in early November.

I was originally hoping to get the time off to do it, and went so far as to plan out an 8 day trip with the meetup in the middle. This is an area that I've never been remotely close to, and I normally hike solo. It was a little out of my norm, and after reading a lot of trip reports, it really interests me. It seems to be the same case for a lot of other folks too. So many that it is clearly too many.

Therefore I think I will do the same hike during a different week. Maybe ask if one or two others are interested, or just make another solo trip. It just seems like the setting demands solitude!

I hope to make another meetup in the future at a less popular locale.
Hi Hugh,

Don't allow the high numbers to dissuade you from coming, the numbers may be high now, but they will drop off by the time of the Meet-up, job, medical, and family issues will change some folks plans, they always do. Also, many people will not stay 2 days (Thur-Fri), some will arrive Thursday afternoon and move on early Friday morning, others will come in Thurs morning, and then move on Thurs afternoon, but whichever variation you do, the main focus of this Meet-up is to meet one another in a beautiful Sierra location, the length of time you would like to stay is totally up to you, after which you can continue on with your trip, and enjoy all the solitude you desire Hugh.

I too am a solo backpacker for a reason, love the solitude, all my trips are solo, besides the Meet-ups and searches, but our HST community is important to me beyond just the computer screen, it has enable me to create some long lasting friendships with some members, which has enhanced my life experience Hugh.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org