Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself =)

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Jimmy2.0
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Lurkers Please Introduce Yourself

Post by Jimmy2.0 »

My name is Jimmy, I have been enjoying the outdoors for decades. Love alpine climbing, but I do not live in the vertical world any more. Have completed the AT, and now deciding on PCT or the Divide. Probably will peak bag for a bit while I decide. I yearly take Boy Scouts and Venture Scouts on week long backpacking trips. Also I tend to be a bit of a gram weenie.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to HST! Congrats on completing th AT, if you have a TR of it please post it here on HST, we enjoy reading TR's from anywhere. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ScottG
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ScottG »

I'm Scott. My Dad grew up in the Mojave Desert (grandfather was a miner), and they would take trips into the Sierra to get away from the heat....made their first trip to Rock Creek / Tom's Place in 1935. I grew up in SoCal, and my Dad carried on the tradition of trips to the Sierra. A fair amount of backpacking as a kid, mostly out of Rock Creek and Mammoth area; also Mt. Whitney as a 13 y/o.

Will retire from the military in 2017, and my wife and I are planning on JMT thru-hike in summer '18, followed by 6-8 months in Mammoth to experience the entire fall-winter-spring cycle. I've enjoyed this site so far--thanks to all of you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to HST! looking forward to reading about your adventures in the Sierra.
Thank you for your service. Semper Fi :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
yosemite_chris
Topix Newbie

Post by yosemite_chris »

Hi! I'm yosemite_chris. I belonged to High Sierra Topix until I moved to NM in 2006. I moved back to CA in 2013, even closer to Yosemite than before. Yay! My son, Will, and I have hiked the JMT twice - in 2000 and 2002 (jmt2k.com) and have taken many backpacking trips in the Sierra. I had to rejoin HST as I couldn't remember my old password and my email is new. But...glad to be back!
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Wow, long time...welcome back! Wish you would have contacted me instead of creating a new account. Easy to change your email and password on the old account. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
mcgenes
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by mcgenes »

Hello HST Community!
I confess to lurking here for several years. I have been backpacking actively for about 8 years and make 2-3 trips each summer. My longer trips include most of the JMT (entered via Italy Pass and headed south), Lamarck Col to South Lake, Rae Lakes via Baxter Pass, and Clark Canyon/Obelisk Lake. HST was particularly helpful in planning the xc portion of the Clark trip.

My primary BP buddy doesn't like cross-country and I am growing and more interested in it. I prefer to hike with friends, but find myself having to solo occasionally. I hope to meet some folks in this group and expand my trip opportunities.

I work in higher ed (administrator, not faculty). Married, no kids. I will turn 50 this summer, and I keep in shape with jogging and yoga. I am also an avid flyfisher, but have never fished on a hiking trip. I need to change that...Hoping the HST meet up will help me learn more about lake fishing. And maybe I will earn a trail name at some point.

So, Hello!
Just Marnie
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Welcome out of the shadows Marnie! :)
Looking forwards to reading some of your TR's, Winter is the best time to post them, they will get a lot of attention since things slow down quite a bit here. :nod:

BurleighFrog
Topix Newbie

Mountains to climb

Post by BurleighFrog »

My name is Jeremy. I am a California native and am planning on exploring a little more of our backyard!! I am trying to get back into hiking and backpacking. I have a hike planned for Mt. Langley in June and have come to this High Sierra Topix as a resource to help prepare for it. Its been awhile since I have done anything like this and I am amped to get back into it! I have to admit, I am still quite a novice with backpacking anyways, so I really don't know where to start. I plan on doing as much reading necessary to familiarize myself with the equipment and conditions expected before this trip. There are a lot of great experiences that have been had by many of HST members and i look for to reliving them through the these written experiences! So show me the way my friends!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Welcome, Jeremy! Regarding Langley, you should post further details of your trip plans and any questions you might have in the Peak Bagging / Rock Climbing / Bouldering forum. :thumbsup:

Cheers,
ERIC
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix