...carry a camera?

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.

While backpacking do you usually carry a camera?

Do you not usually carry a camera?
1%
Is your backpacking camera in a cellphone?
10%
Is your backpacking camera a compact digital camera?
48%
Is your backpacking camera a DSLR or mirrorless?
40%
Is your backpacking camera a film camera?
1%

Total votes: 84

SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

...carry a camera?

Post by SSSdave »

And the second question if you carry some type of camera, is do you also carry a tripod?

My answer is yes a tripod too.
alpinemike
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: ...carry a camera?

Post by alpinemike »

To be more specific I've carried multiple cameras for years. I full DSLR and a Medium Format Film Pentax. I've decided that for multi-month trips the Pentax won't be coming along anymore. I am using a tripod as well.. (can't avoid it when using film with an ISO of 16). It's a Dolica GX600B200. Love it
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Tripod, yes.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, Gitzo.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cloudlesssky
Topix Regular

Post by cloudlesssky »

I always carry my Canon A1300 on hikes. Cheap 5x zoom that uses 2xAA batteries and takes great pictures. Runs forever if you use Li batteries. I sometimes carry a Joby knock-off mini tripod too.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

As the one vote who carries a film camera, I'd like to elucidate. Until last week, from the 1970s through this year, I used a Leica (M2 or M7) film camera. For the past two years I have been dealing with increasing difficulty getting Fuji Provia 100 film except by mail order from B&H in New York City due to the local camera store I've patronized for over 30 years rarely stocking it. Then that store stopped processing slide film. I found another local store that did processing, but it's a 45 minute drive each direction. And I looked at how much I was spending each year on film and processing. So I decided to go digital with occasionally shooting film when that seems best or I just feel like it.

I love the look of Leica lenses and using a Leica rangefinder. It's one of those intuitive, personal preferences (if interested, look up "why I love Leica cameras and lenses"). Plus,I can carry my camera and three lenses and they weigh less than a DSLR camera body. Leica's previous digital cameras either had "issues" (if interested, check the photography websites about this) or, in the case of M240, were too expensive, heavy, and had a long confusing menu. Last month Leica introduced the M262, which weighs less, costs $2000 less than the M240, and has an extremely simple intuitive menu that covers all one needs to take a photo. So I shot my savings and got one last week (life is short and ...). Basically it's like using my M7 except I'm now learning about white balance subtleties and Lightroom (free with the camera). So from now on I'll be shooting digital on all my backpacking trips.

And, yes, I carry a Gitzo tripod. It lays across the top of the pack and I find some of the stares I get from other hikers because of it pretty funny.
Last edited by LMBSGV on Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
urnotreal
Topix Novice

Post by urnotreal »

Funny. I haven't been here in awhile, but I was just having this conversation tonight. I used to argue with myself before every trip about whether or not I wanted to haul in a heavy, bulky tripod. Every time I left it behind, I'd curse myself when I got home and started looking through photos. Now, I don't care what the itinerary is. The tripod comes along (helps that I acquired a lighter tripod). I carry an Oben. It's light, solid, and affordable. Best part is, when I strap it to the side of the pack, it sticks up just enough to let me throw the strap of my camera bag over it.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

LMBSGV wrote:... For the past two years I have been dealing with increasing difficulty getting Fuji Provia 100 film except by mail order from B&H in New York City due to the local camera store I've patronized for over 30 years rarely stocking it. Then that store stopped processing slide film. I found another local store that did processing, but it's a 45 minute drive each direction. And I looked at how much I was spending each year on film and processing...

A lot of large format folks still use Provia and this is where I and significant others have been sending film for processing for years. Good mail order system with excellent customer service.

theslideprinter@gmail.com

http://www.theslideprinter.com

Denver Digital Imaging Center
PO Box 9506W
Denver, CO 80209

My 4x5 has not been seeing much use since I bought the A6000 then developed strong skills with multi column row stitch blending and focus stack blending. But my Wisner with Provia still has purpose with well illuminated single shot situations.
scrotata
Topix Acquainted

Post by scrotata »

Tripod yes
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Thanks SSSdave for the mail order reference. If my one existing local place also goes under, I'll definitely contact them.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com