Taboose Pass ~ October 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose Pass ~ October 2015

Post by giantbrookie »

What beautiful fall views of that area! I've been up in that area but not that late in the year. My trips to that area were (1) 3rd weekend of 1980---Taboose to Upper Basin and Mts Split and Prater--a very fast two-day tripand (2) early July 1997 Sawmill to Taboose shuttle w Sawmill L., Woods L., Window Pk Lk, Twin Lakes/Pinchot Pass vicinity, Marjorie and basins E of it, Bench L. and unnamed lakes above it, Arrow Pk, Striped Mtn Lakes, Taboose Pass L. I don't recall the nice fall colors when I went in Sept '80 although it was very cold on that trip.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks for your feedback everyone! It has been interesting reading about the experiences others have had via Taboose Pass. I can't remember my exact dates, but I think it was the second or third weekend, prior to the first real storms of the season. I will definitely be back to do the cross country loop to Amphitheater/Dumbell/Lakes Basins but it will be mid summer when I can make it over the x/c passes safely. Till then I'm dusting off the snowshoes :cool:
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

This was the trip I did in 2006. I think I wrote a trip report that is in the archives here. The main goal was to climb Split Mountain, and since that went so fast, I had a couple of extra days. The little cirques were fun to explore. I have done Taboose Pass several times now, and it always ends up easier and faster than I anticipate. It is pretty well graded and has plenty of water. I doubt now, ten years older, that I could do the same 42 miles in 4 days, with the nearly 14,000 feet elevation gain. But I certainly will do Taboose Pass again. It is actually one of my favorite passes.

[rimg]http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg23 ... litMtn.jpg[/rimg]
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Absolutely beautiful photography! How inspiring to read your trip report in the dog days of winter, in the dreary Central Valley. Thanks for sharing.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Enjoyed the trip report. I've been through Upper Basin many times but never bothered to explore it. Looks like you found enough attractions to make it a destination.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

very cool trip. This is the kind of thing I dream of doing one of these days when I move to CA. Until then, I am limited to longer trips to make the cross continent journey worth my while. The Taboose region is also one of those special places I keep coming back to - now for over 25 years. Places we visit become part of us - memories at creek crossings and spots that have only meaning to you because something you remember from a good day many years back happened at a spot you recognize.

I sooo need to get out there next summer. Now at 16+ months Sierra withdrawal :paranoid:
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

Places we visit become part of us - memories at creek crossings and spots that have only meaning to you because something you remember from a good day many years back happened at a spot you recognize.

I sooo need to get out there next summer. Now at 16+ months Sierra withdrawal :paranoid:

I feel the same about Sierra places that I love and go back to.

I moved to Arizona from Oregon this past spring. I considered places closer to the Sierra but at least for now decided against them for various reasons (too urban or too isolated/costly, too cold/snowy in winter). I tell my hiker friends I finally made it to the eastern Sierra.... :lol:

I'm having withdrawals as well.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Yesterday, I acted to address my withdrawal symptoms - I requested 5 weeks vacation from late June through July 2016, giving my new department manager a nice puzzle to solve how to cover my stuff while I am sipping water from crystal clear Sierra streams outside of cell phone range :unibrow: . In a few days I will know if we can get started with the route and logistics planning.

We'll definitely be coming through the Taboose region, and if our current plan of a slightly modified JMT yo-yo route is what we end up doing, we'll be on that area twice during those weeks.