Well this is good news

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Well this is good news

Post by schmalz »

except for those who fish possibly

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-35024794
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: Well this is good news

Post by oldranger »

From my reading of the article this will have little or no impact on the Sierra. As much as mosquitoes make us uncomfortable they actually play a pretty important role in the ecosystem--they are food to more than fish (bats for example) and also play a role in polination of flowers. So I don't think we really want to eliminate mosquitoes from the Sierra. Personally I like mosquitoes better in June and early July than the masses of people out and about in August. But of course I'm kind of a curmudgeon. :rolleyes:

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I recently read that researchers at UC Irvine and UC San Diego also created a malaria-blocking mosquito. No mention of collaboration with UK scientists.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I have a family friend who works at Kearney ag center and specializes in mosquitoes and malaria-transfer. He says there's no worry that Sierra mosquitoes will carry anything dangerous: malaria, West Nile. No reason to hate except for the annoying buzzing.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

well, this map tends to show a different picture, not that I'm doubting your friend: http://diseasemaps.usgs.gov/mapviewer/ click on mosquito and bird.

and remember upslope blow-in. Not like West Nile would be a big deal. I have two horses and 50 friggn crows (yeah, it's crow season, but i have no good recipe :puke: ). No crows died. That is the canary in the coal mine for WNV.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

I'd love if they were all gone but messing with nature on such a large scale is always a really bad idea.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Totally agree, Rogue.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Crow and Mushroom Stew

3 crows
1 Tbsp lard/shortening
1 pint stock or gravy
2 Tbsp cream
1/2 cup mushrooms
salt and pepper
cayenne pepper

Clean and cut crows into small portions and let them cook a short time in the lard/shortening in a saucepan, being careful not to brown them.
Next, add to the contents of the pan, the stock or gravy, and salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.
Simmer 1 hour, or until tender, add mushrooms, simmer 10 minutes more and then stir in cream.
Arrange the mushrooms around the crows on a hot platter.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I have the LL Bean Game & Fish cookbook. Lots of weird stuff in that book. No mention of crow. There's a reason for that. :)

If you have to mask the flavor of the animal, it's not ok.

But, I'm good with less skeeters in the backcountry. and yes, there's no recipe for them in the book either.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

The UC scientists modified the mosquito genes so that they could not carry and transmit Malaria. Although this is still messing with nature, it is not as extreme as creating infertile mosquitos that would wipe out the species. Still, ethical questions remain and who knows where this can lead.
http://news.uci.edu/research/university ... osquitoes/