TR June 15-26, 2014--Isberg TH, Long Creek,Upper Merced,Isbe

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: TR June 15-26, 2014--Days 5-7

Post by oldranger »

Day 5, finally a little warmer. A moving day, around Harriet to the sw corner, thru the saddle down to the next lake, w over the ridge to the next lake, then sw to the High Trail , then when it starts to head up plunge off trail to intersect the Triple Peak Fork trail just s of the intersection of the Red Peak Pass trail. This route eliminates 300 feet of uphill and 2 extra miles of trail travel.
IMG_0374.jpg
A break at the ford/intersection to prepare for 2+ mile, 700 ft climb to top of the ridge before dropping down to the Merced Peak Fork and our camp. Maybe it is because I usually do it in the afternoon, maybe because the scenery is not outstanding but this 2 miles always seems almost interminable to me, I’m sure markskor will agree with me as he bitched the whole way when we did it together! The Red Peak Pass trail has been written up so much it was the one part of the trip where we met several people each time we traveled on it.

A few hundred yards below the Red Peak Pass trail along the Merced Peak Fork are several seldom used campsites. Most travelers don’t go far off the trail to camp and it seems most are also intent, in this area to go from Ottoway to the Triple Peak Fork, at least, on their trips thus missing the best of the area in my opinion. The many deep pools, the undulating granite of this little valley is magic, and if you go up the side and downstream a bit at sunset the view to the ne can be as good as it gets.
IMG_0375.jpg
IMG_4208.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg
Day 6 Edna. A day hike. A mother dog, as always, that last few hundred feet, but what a lake.
IMG_0381.jpg
3rd place highlight of the trip! Matt always says, “Dad, you know me, it’s catchin’ not fishing that I’m interested in.” Well we both had packrafts and after each of us kept our first fish for dinner (Edna can be fickle!) then catch and release after catch and release etc for the rest of the day.
IMG_0390.jpg
Fishing Edna from shore has always beaten me up but not having to climb over cliffs, edge along ledges, cross suspicious snowfields, and clamber over talus fields made fishing a pleasure in an incredible setting. It is always good when you can lead your son to his best fishing day ever! Upped my best fish here to 18” but the reputed 20 incher still eludes me. This turned out to be highlight #3 of the trip.
IMG_0396.jpg
IMG_0398.jpg
IMG_0407.jpg
Day 7 On to Adair! Over the ridge and down to Red Devil Lake then nw to the Red Peak Fork and the route markskor and I took in 2012--Down the Red Peak Fork to where the river starts to drop off steeply then head due n up the line of trees to the top of the ridge
IMG_0435.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg
then angle down the easy talus to the drainage of lake 9705, then sw over the ridge and down the gulley to Adair.
IMG_0440.jpg
To be continued, time to watch football! (edhyatt, we're talking real football where the players don't fake injuries unless they wimpy California teams playing Oregon!)

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Re: TR June 15-26, 2014--Isberg TH, Long Creek,Upper Merced,

Post by giantbrookie »

Whoa, that is a monster rainbow! I must get back there. Neat route and what a great experience to get to see coyotes fishing. I've never seen that.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: TR June 15-26, 2014--Days 8-12

Post by oldranger »

Day 8 One fish all day until after dinner when I noticed little dimples all over the water. Tried fly and bubble and found out most of those little dimples were caused by 15” goldens! Took a pic of one and then as I released it my camera fell out of my unzipped pocket and into the lake! Dumb! Typical Adair Sunset over the Cathedral Range.
IMG_0457.jpg
IMG_0460.jpg
IMG_0449.jpg
IMG_0453.jpg
Day 9 Retraced our steps and returned to Merced Peak Fork, went around w. side of Red Devil for the first time, just as complex as e side! No pics today as I was waiting for camera to dry out!

Day 10 back on the trail and seeing people for the first time since day 5.
IMG_0467.jpg
Heading to lake 10005 based on Balzaccom’s report from 2013 that the lake contained nice fish.
IMG_0480.jpg
Well I don’t know where they went. All I could catch were stunted brookies--lots of them. Also found the flat spot with horse turds all over that someone described in another TR. Just below that was a little flat spot with nice setup and no turds.
IMG_0479.jpg
Despite the disappointing fishing this evening resulted in the 2nd highlight of trip. After dinner I talked Matt into putting down his book and accompanying me up to the top of the ridge to the nw to view the sunset. After topping the ridge the entire Upper Merced basin and Peaks to the North were bathed in the warmth of the setting sun.
IMG_0487.jpg
While not the last night of the trip it did seem almost like the conclusion, a fitting one at that.

Day 11 Up pretty early and off to hike over Isberg Pass and then down to Saddler Lake.
IMG_0490.jpg
As usual Matt left me in the dust. Isberg pass has got to be the worst maintained trail in Yosemite seeming to be quite easy to wander off it. Whoops as I got to the top I noticed something missing in the trail--Matt’s footprints! Down I went, anxiety increasing with every step. Then almost down to Upper Isberg Lake his tracks appeared again, then around the corner there he was sitting by the lake waiting for me. Sure enough as he neared the pass he wandered e. then down aways before he realized he was off trail. He looked at the terrain and said what the hay its just as easy to head straight down so he did. Somewhere around Isberg lakes when he was ahead of me, which is all the time even though he carried more than his share of the gear, he again spotted the two coyotes, this time again running toward Isberg peak, but from the other side of the peak.
IMG_0493.jpg
We arrived at Saddler Lake early enough to give me time to inflate the raft and do some fishing with the hopes a catching one of the legendary big browns the used to lurk in the lake. Instead I caught and released lots of 9-10” brookies, better than Lake 10005 but not exactly what I would call a target lake for fishing. As for the browns I would suspect with the lack of function of the dam at McClure lake that fall flows are now not sufficient for successful brown trout spawning.
P1040370.jpg
A large Outward Bound group was camped a short distance away so our last night was certainly not one with a remote feeling.

Day 12 About 4 AM the pitter patter of rain woke us up, damn! I quickly jumped up an made sure that everything was undercover. The rain continued until daybreak and continued through breakfast, breaking camp, and as we headed down the trail. For the 1st time in my hiking career I dressed too coolly for the conditions and after a couple of miles I had to stop and put on my sweater and consume a few hundred calories to warm me up. Refreshed I headed down the trail much more comfortably until the sun came out and I had to shed poncho and sweater. Some people we met on the trail informed us that a couple of days previously the Sierra National Forest had been closed to campfires. So our fire the previous night was illegal. You’d think they’d send a helicopter up to inform us!

Matt, of course, was waiting for my arrival at the car. We headed down to Fresno, got a hotel for the two nights while we waited for Matt to catch his flight back to Florida. It wasn’t too bad though, we caught a Grizzlies game, visited brew pubs, visited old friends and I introduced him to Armenian Food but it wasn’t as good as my Armenian friends and neighbors made when I was a kid.

After two nights in Fresno I dropped Matt off at the Airport then headed over to Mammoth in hopes that Markskor would be healed enough for one last 2014 adventure together. (he was and the trip commented on in 2014 (post titled "markskor scores!") and that will be ‘nuff said about it!)

Happy Holidays!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

Hey meat -
Nice job and (surprisingly) a great read too. Always a delight to re-visit again via photographs a few of those remote lakes/ routes previously explored....(even those done with you along). Hiking with your son Matt must have been a real treat, (a welcome change for you?)....being with someone who probably cares/ has to listen to your complaining, will eat your cooking...as well as carrying the lion's share of the gear too.
Sorry about my sunburned ankles and that this trip was one unfortunately missed but...

Whatever, still a real nice TR and one made even nicer without my ugly mug mucking up your pictures.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Great trip report, especially the fishing coyotes.
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Great writeup! Worth the wait, especially after hearing several bits and pieces over the past year. :P