Taboose Pass ~ October 2015

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Taboose Pass ~ October 2015

Post by Hobbes »

Andy, ever since Wandering Daisy mentioned the prospect, the lake basin could be a good candidate for a future meet-up location.
SweetSierra wrote:Perhaps you'll have a chance on another trip to explore the area south of Pinchot Pass.
Andy, Jim, Brian and myself have been toying with the idea of doing a late spring traverse from Lamarck to Kearsarge. It would require perfect weather, but it would be a lot of fun around the time the first trickle of PCTers was coming north. That is, warm spring like conditions below 10k, but still solid snow 2 miles either side of the passes - especially the north faces.

If we caught it right, it would require a boots/crampons/ice axe combo; now it just has to start snowing.
Bluewater
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Bluewater »

Thanks again for your comments :thumbsup:

@ Jim, I'll bet Lake 11,592 hasn't changed much since 1995. It was strange to see so many great places to camp on a large lake with no sign of a human impact. Maybe there's something to the LNT thing. . .

@ Dave, There's plenty to see in Upper Basin if camping for 3 days. Hopefully we will see some snow over the next few years and the color will return. I found this old photo from late September 2011 of the area below the south side of Pinchot Pass (taken with a Canon p/s). I'm sure it will return to this condition someday. BTW, I look forward to seeing your photos from over Shepherd Pass next year.
south of pinchot pass small jpeg.JPG
@ Hobbes, I'm keeping busy this year with a few 5K/10K's, snowshoeing trips etc to stay in shape for next spring. With the right weather the trip over Lamarck to Kearsarge could be a lot of fun. (((||)))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hiac
Topix Acquainted

Post by hiac »

So awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for the wonderful TR. I like the colors you've captured in your photos. The list of places I want to visit keeps getting longer!
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Thanks for one of the best trip reports ive read.Full coverage from beginning to end of trail.Ive always wondered about Taboose as i pass by it on the 395.It seems brutal.Your pics are great.I would like to go up there one day especially with some snow coverage on the peaks.
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Excellent read and great photos. Tough time of year to make this trip, but looks like a good time. Have always wanted to explore this area more since traveling through along the JMT.
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

Great pictures! The sunset one might be my next wallpaper.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

Ive been to almost all of the places you went and mentioned. I'm hesitant to say this but here goes. My favorite two places of all are Amphitheater Lake and the surrounding lakes and Dumbell Lakes. Lake Basin and Striped Mountain Lakes Basin are really cool too. I really liked the places you went. I, of course, think the most beautiful is Bench and Arrow. I didn't go to all those places on one trip. I saw them on two trips of five days in July and nine days in August. Each of the two trips were with Mike and Jim, my two sons, and were four years apart. Jim was 12 and 16 and Mike was 7 and 11 and I was 46 and 50. I've postd pics on HST (circa 2011) of these two trips. Hiking into Bench Jim was a VERY small 12yo and Mike a small 7yo. As a result I was a pack horse. As if that wan't bad enough, on the flat approach to Bench I had to put Mike's pack on top of mine. Each of my sons liked a_ _ kicking hikes. I never did.
What a great area and what great pics you showed us. It really took me back to some excellent memories.Thanks.
balance
Topix Regular

Post by balance »

Nice trip report Bluewater! Thank you.

I"m curious what days in October was your trip? Going solo and cross country above 10,000' in October is an interesting proposition. No telling what the weather might do.

Years ago I went over Taboose Pass in early summer, and from the start had two days of off and on cold rain. Just after crossing the pass it really started coming down, not a lot of wind but very steady rain. I had good rain gear, so I sat on a rock to wait out the storm. Dumb idea. An hour later it was still raining, and I was staying dry but getting very chilly. Finally set up my tent a couple hundred yards West of the pass. Sometimes I get :confused: confused.

Peace.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Lovely photographs of an area to which I have never been. Thank you!