a Sierra High Route – the third segment

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
edhyatt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: a Sierra High Route – the third segment

Post by edhyatt »

I think you might well have a point; happily I'm not bothered if I complete the PCT or not - but as I have the work window....

I really can't wait to get home after long trips....then after about two days I just yearn to be back on the trail; its odd.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

It has been fun reliving these sections of the SHR. I like the mix of landscape, flower, close up creek, meadow and camp shots. It gives a good feel of the things I remember from out there. And the food shots from back in town. I camped nearby that spot above the waterfall along the Hillgard branch/outlet of Lake Italy, what an amazing spot! I spent a zero day right there and had some of those internal debates about how to exit after feeling exhausted. That hike out of the second recess up to Mills Creek Lakes must have been tough. I hiked the other direction, downhill, and remember thinking the heavily wooded section as especially challenging (it was early season and any trace of a use trail was covered by chest high flowers with voracious mosquitos). Thanks for taking the time to put it all together. Looking forward to the final section!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

edhyatt wrote: As you might guess I like writing trip reports; have lots more but they are about Scotland and the Alps, not the US.
Those reports would be of great interest as well! That's what the "Beyond the Sierra Nevada" section is meant for.
Cross Country
Topix Fanatic

Post by Cross Country »

I agree with the others - great potos and excellent TR. I went on several trips solo only because I had the time to go and no one I knew could go with me those times.
Humans like many other animals evolved to be social. When we don't like people it's time to investigate as to why and I'm talking about investigating ourselves and not others.
As to Italians my experience is that most of them have something in common and it's about women. I'm not saying it's something bad but it is very different from me.
I've been to and liked where you went.
Again - what a great TR.
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

Now this is what I like so much about forums in the US...or perhaps their members (so to speak)...

Few in the UK would comment on the 'personal' elements of my reports...we are far too shy :D and by definition they are not personal...I've put them on a public forum..

I agree that we (I) need to look to ourselves in some circumstances. As I mention - I'm still not quite sure quite what I wanted from last summer...

I like Italians as my partner is Italian; one must be careful :cool:

I think I'm going to like it here :partyman:

And I'm glad you like the write-ups.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

One other question on this and heck, maybe the Scotland trips (yeah, i read bears went extinct there in the 9th or 10th century).

Food storage: what do you use?
edhyatt
Topix Regular

Post by edhyatt »

In the Sierra I used a Bearikade Weekender* all the time; saw no trace of a bear, not even scat. But hey ho...

*I reckon I could get 8-9 days food into one of those relatively easily as I don't eat much.

In the Wind Rivers we rock-hung. On the TRT I PCT hung most nights.

In Scotland your only worry is marauding Glaswegians on their way home from the pub.....so unlikely to be an issue in the hills :D
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

edhyatt wrote:In the Sierra I used a Bearikade Weekender* ...I reckon I could get 8-9 days food into one of those relatively easily as I don't eat much. :D
Surprisingly, with the addition of the added trout or two - dinners, (The OldRanger and I both also carry Weekenders), many a 14 day adventure has been done...using ~60 liter backpacks. Don't ask me how.
BTW, we never starve...always horsd'oeuvres and nightly cocktails too. :partyman:
Nice TR - thanks!
Mountainman who swims with trout
John Harper
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by John Harper »

Thanks for sharing this fantastic TR. Read through all three of them, congratulations on such an incredible journey. Best TR I've read in a long time for sure, maybe ever.

John
ofuros
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by ofuros »

Enjoyed your journey, edhyatt...great pics. :thumbsup:
Out 'n about....looking for trout.
https://ofuros.exposure.co/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;