High Sierra Trail, Nov 27-29

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

High Sierra Trail, Nov 27-29

Post by HikingGeek.com »

NOTE: I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, or if it should be put in the conditions section.

There's someone on the High Sierra Trail Facebook Group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/HighSie ... 267909998/) asking about current conditions of the HST. He and two others are headed up there Nov 27-29. I believe they plan to hike out to Big Hamilton on Day 1, Day trip to Precipice on Day 2, then hike out to Crescent Meadows on Day 3.

The forecast for the area looks like it could be very cold where they'll be (new storm bringing cold air?) The ranger they spoke to said that they haven't had a ranger up there since September, but that they should expect 3-6 feet of snow in the area.

Have any of you hiked this area in the winter? Should they be concerned about avalanche danger? I believe they're just planning on taking micros and snowshoes, but I think I'd want to carry an ice axe and crampons. Feel free to join the Facebook group to comment if you'd like. I tend to be more cautious than most, so I'm hoping to get some other opinions. They are seasoned hikers, but I'm not sure of their winter experience level, so I am a little worried about them getting in over their heads.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by HikingGeek.com on Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail, Nov 27-29

Post by maverick »

Ask them to come to HST if they have any questions. There is a storm moving in Wed and Thur (do not know whether in extends into the latter half of the week yet), it is bringing single digit temps (higher location) and snow. They should not even think about attempting this hike without experience in winter like conditions, the tunnel area above Hamilton may not be accessible and be icy, and there will be no path in the snow for them to follow, so they need outstanding navigation experience. If they do not possess the above requirements they have no business going out, they will putting their lives, and the SAR members lives at danger who will be out looking for them.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org