Printing B&Ws

Topics covering photography and videography of the flora, fauna and landscape of the Sierra Nevada mountains. Show off your talent. Post your photos and videos here!
Holokuahiwi
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Printing B&Ws

Post by Holokuahiwi »

I'm just looking for suggestions on where to get some high quality B&W prints done. I'm putting together a tryptic or two that I did while out hiking this summer. I've used Nations Photo Lab in the past, but was wondering what the pros on the board use. Doing three 8x12s, so they're not even gonna be that big.

I tried the search feature to see if it was mentioned elsewhere, but didn't see anything.

Thanks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Printing B&Ws

Post by maverick »

Hi Niles,

I have been using Bay Photo for years, have been happy with the result, they aim to please, and will re-do work if you have any legitimate complaints.
They have a large assortment of products, and their prices are good: https://www.bayphoto.com/products/

PS Just had a show, 8-24x36 (2 were larger), 2 were black&white, all on metal, great work, sold all of them. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Holokuahiwi
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Holokuahiwi »

That's awesome, Maverick. Even better that you sold out of all of your work. I was actually browsing your gallery before my trip to Ansel Adams in September for inspiration. I even had someone offer to buy a print of mine for the first time a couple weeks ago - very satisfying.

I'll check out Bayphoto for my next round of printing. And I'll be sure to get my (two month old) trip report up soon.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Glad to be of help.
Remember, selling is not so much about the piece it self, though it helps of course, but rather getting a person emotional involved by talking about the whole process of creating the piece, from the visualization at home, the research (earth google to weather forecast), the scouting, the decisions made the during the cameras set-up up to the pressing of the shutter, the post-processing, and finally the decisions on the framing.
When a customer hears all that goes into creating a great art piece, they feel as they took part in the whole process, and it makes the likelihood of a purchase much more likely. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org