Hiking around Mammoth 11/13/15

If you've been searching for the best source of information and stimulating discussion related to Spring/Summer/Fall backpacking, hiking and camping in the Sierra Nevada...look no further!
overheadx2
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Hiking around Mammoth 11/13/15

Post by overheadx2 »

I'm headed up Lake Crowley to stay at a friends condo with the wife this weekend and wanted to do some 5 - 7 mile day hikes. We have snow shoes and spikes (not sure if they will be needed) so snow would be fun. I was thinking of doing a short hike up the Whitney trail in Lone Pine to get some exercise in and hike around Whitney Portal. Also thinking of either Rock Creek area if still open or Mcgee Creek by Crowley. I wouldn't mind doing a hike out of mammoth either. I'm not sure about what areas are available since there is quite a bit of snow. Any suggestions for this weekend?
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Hiking around Mammoth 11/13/15

Post by markskor »

Locally ~ 15 - 20" new at 9,000 feet - mostly light/dry flakes to start, turning wetter last night... not that fun going as unconsolidated so far - damn pretty though!
Suggest the 3-mile loop around Convict - always magic.
Hot Creek loop?
Gate to lakes basin closed at Twin Lakes. Half the road up past Mary dedicated to "set tracks" but off the tracks always walk-able - on up to George - (Crystal Lake? - mines? - or?)
Outside my window right now.
Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mountainman who swims with trout
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

thanks mark
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I agree with Mark about Convict being a good choice. I would also suggest the Rock Creek area. I don't know how far the road is open but it should be open the snow park at least. It might even be open as far as the pack station but I doubt it. A few years ago the wife and I snowshoed from the pack station up into Little Lakes Valley for a day and it was awesome. I think there is a trip report here someplace but I couldn't find it.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikingGeek.com »

I'm headed up to the area in a couple of weeks, 11/27-11/29. We are looking at the Rock Creek and Mammoth area as possible areas to snowshoe and hike. We are tentatively planning on a long day Saturday, then maybe something short in Mammoth on Sunday.

Rock Creek:
I've hiked LLV to both Morgan Pass and Mono Pass Peak. Does it sound too ambitious to think we'd be able to do one of these with the added snow and mileage (an extra 10 miles I think if we park at Sno-Park)? Mono Pass Peak has one of the best views I've ever seen:

I've also been wanting to try Morgan South. Mt.Starr is another one.

I am considering making the trip a 1 night backpack, with us possibly staying at Mosquito Flats.

Mammoth:
For our long day, I am also considering Mammoth Crest (info here: HikingWalking.com). Based on the comments above, that area and this route should be doable with some road walking? The view from Duck Pass was another favorite from this past summer.

I think that Minarets Vista is likely to be our early morning Sunday hike, with us possibly going north along San Joaquin Ridge for a bit. Have you been out to Deadman Pass? Are there any areas along the ridge that you'd try to hike to for views?
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

I don't have enough experience with snowshoeing to have much of an opinion on whats doable. When we hiked in from the pack station I did get a chance to look around the outside of the Rock Creek Lodge remote cabin. I thought it would be pretty cool to do and a heck of a lot warmer for $35 a night.

Check it out here.
http://rockcreeklodge.com/summer/winter/hut_trips.php
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Thanks for all the input. We ended up hiking the Whitney trail to Lone Pine Lake on the way up to Mammoth on Friday. At Crowley, we went for a short hike up the Convict lake trail and then fishing Hot Creek in the afternoon. Weather was amazing until Sunday when the storm came through.
HikingGeek.com
Topix Acquainted

Post by HikingGeek.com »

overheadx2 wrote:Thanks for all the input. We ended up hiking the Whitney trail to Lone Pine Lake on the way up to Mammoth on Friday. At Crowley, we went for a short hike up the Convict lake trail and then fishing Hot Creek in the afternoon. Weather was amazing until Sunday when the storm came through.
How much snow did you run into?
overheadx2
Topix Expert

Post by overheadx2 »

Mark was correct to say that full but thin coverage was at 9k. We left on Sunday so there was another 8 - 10 inches Sunday. We had a little trouble crossing creeks due to thick ice on creek rocks. Micro spikes were needed above 9k and especially on north facing slopes. Never deep enough for Snow shows, but all of the trails had been walked on. Snow shoes would probably be necessary over 10k. It was beautiful up there and great to hike around with out any one else around. Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Phil,

Could you please post a few pictures, so those who are considering going out in the next week or so to that particular area, can see the current snow coverage. :) Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org