Let's talk Pillows

Share your advice and personal experiences, post a gear review or ask any questions you may have pertaining to outdoor gear and equipment.
gabe&mel
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Let's talk Pillows

Post by gabe&mel »

Jimr wrote:
gabe&mel wrote: Cons: will set you back fifty bucks. A necessity ... no, but worth it to me.

A bit cheaper than that book you have there :lol:
Thankfully there are libraries, and ways to crop these things out. :wink:
mschnaidt
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by mschnaidt »

I have used the Cocoon for the last couple of years and it is a good pillow. But... I picked up a Klymit pillow X recently and it's better. It weighs 2.25 ounces folds up to a tiny size and is super comfortable. It inflates with 2 breaths and is 15"x11"x3.5". It fits into the pillow pocket of my sleeping bag. What I like most about it is that it stays in place and the design centers your head in the middle of the pillow. I doesn't squirt around when you move which my cocoon did. Wrapping it in a fleece, a down jacket or the Thermarest pillow sleeve (which I have and it fits) would be luxurious.
pillowx_top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JWreno
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by JWreno »

I use a small inflatable pillow that I put in a stuff bag with my down sweater unless it is so cold that I am wearing the extra down. When I get up in the night for a bathroom break I wear the down sweater which keeps me freezing so much. I sleep with long johns top and bottom so I am pretty warm outside with the added sweater. The long johns are only used in the evening and overnight at camp after I wash up at end of day of hiking. This helps keep the stink off my sleeping bag.
Jeff
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Pack is fine with some clothing am not wearing on top. Or the standard, toss unused clothing into the sleeping bag stuff sack. Probably bring more clothing generally than most backpackers. Almost always have some rain gear on longer trips. Generally am not too picky on what my head lies except prefer my head being up higher than the rest of my body so am likely to place the stuff sack atop my camera daypack or boots haha.
Also usually take along my Seirus Hoodz heavyweight fleece balaclava that often wear at night:

http://seirus.com/hoodz-6037.html

Is thick enough that it provides a soft next to skin layer for whatever is underneath.