REI Closing for Black Friday

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

REI Closing for Black Friday

Post by cslaght »

I don't know about you guys, but I think this is pretty awesome. As someone who worked retail and Black Fridays for a decade, this is something near and dear to my heart. As these retailers keep encroaching onto Thanksgiving itself and really illustrating the growing consumerism (or at least keeping it going?), this is a move I feel needs to be applauded. =D> =D> =D>
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: REI Closing for Black Friday

Post by Jimr »

Funny, when I first read it, I wondered what the marketing angle was. Still kinda wondering, but not worth putting any energy into.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

pushing people to the online store probably. That'd be my guess.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

So many department stores pushed last year to the day after Halloween. Perhaps that has something to do with it.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

My wife works for one of REI's competitors here in southern California, and she found out last week that they will not only be opening early on black Friday(as usual), but they will be opening on Thanksgiving evening. I don't think anyone is happy about it.
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

REI has a full page ad on the last page of the first section (expensive space) of the SF Chronicle today announcing they aren't open Black Friday. So they are buying expensive ads to tell us they are not open. :rolleyes:
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I think a fair number of people may be swayed toward greater loyalty to REI because of it. I doubt it would hurt their business if they can just do as Russ says and simply order online. And that keeps you from the maddening crowds anyway. Something most of this bunch probably wants to avoid anyway. I wonder if they will have a small customer service team online for the online orders. Wouldn't matter if they are in India as they wouldn't know what Thanksgiving is anyway.
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

I must agree, it is working on me, as I am considering purchasing something from them now. And full disclaimer, I am not a shoppe, nor ever will be on black Friday because of the maddening crowds. In and of itself, there's a marketability to it and as Tom_H says, many of their customer base will be swayed. It's a nice shift from the encroachment of Thanksgiving that has happened in recent years.

Charles
cslaght
Topix Regular

Post by cslaght »

Robow, I'm sorry to hear that. To me, it's not just about family, it's this idea that you must sacrifice this holiday for the retail establishment. I'm in a job now where I get an extended time off for Thanksgiving and about two week for Christmas (Yay Community College calendar!), and didn't realize how much more relaxing and rewarding it is. For many, it's a very exhausting time that creates burdens. I hope something works out.

Charles
robow8
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by robow8 »

Thanks cslaght. It's all good. She doesn't work on Sundays, and has most Saturdays off. Plus she gets store discounts and pro deals. Which means that we spend way too much on camping stuff, but not as much as we could!