hiking classifications

Grab your bear can or camp chair, kick your feet up and chew the fat about anything Sierra Nevada related that doesn't quite fit in any of the other forums. Within reason, (and the HST rules and guidelines) this is also an anything goes forum. Tell stories, discuss wilderness issues, music, or whatever else the High Sierra stirs up in your mind.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: hiking classifications

Post by TahoeJeff »

My motto:
Never trust anyone under 6200'.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by markskor »

TahoeJeff wrote:My motto:
Never trust anyone under 6200'.
Flatlander...lol. Try 7,800'.
Mountainman who swims with trout
Cloudy
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Cloudy »

"They drive 7+ hours to the trailhead in their Lezbaru Outback wagons". That is another atypical stereotype in the making (except for the hours)! I have owned my 1985 Subaru 4WD GL wagon since 1985 and it's getting time for a replacement after serving me well for so many years. It was love at first sight and and I have never regretted my choice. I will likely replace it next year with with a six-cylinder Outback since sadly, they phased out 4WD and manual transmissions. It may be the last car I ever own - which is a frightening thought... :)
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Cloudy wrote:"They drive 7+ hours to the trailhead in their Lezbaru Outback wagons". That is another atypical stereotype in the making (except for the hours)! I have owned my 1985 Subaru 4WD GL wagon since 1985 and it's getting time for a replacement after serving me well for so many years. It was love at first sight and and I have never regretted my choice. I will likely replace it next year with with a six-cylinder Outback since sadly, they phased out 4WD and manual transmissions. It may be the last car I ever own - which is a frightening thought... :)
My significant alien drives a Subaru Forester - just replaced his old one with a new one - because they are the only car he fits in so as not to develop sore knees using the pedals and not hit his head on the ceiling. That it helps us get up to trailheads on iffy roads helps.

I've driven for about 10 hours to get to trailheads... sometimes it's worth the drive. Most weekends we drive less than 2 hours....
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Wow this is way off topic! We are also in the market for a new car. Since I'm off to the Sierra or Sawtooths for about 5 weeks every summer Kathy wants a vehicle to pull the new travel trailer when I am gone. After careful consideration of all alternatives we are nearing the conclusion that I leave the 4 Runner at home for her and take our second vehicle to the get to the trailheads. Our Prius doesn't hack it. Looking at all alternatives for a high clearance vehicle plus decent milage for a daily driver in Central Oregon we keep coming back to a Subi Outback 4 cyl with all the driving assist aids as the best most economical alternative for a geriatric couple. Unfortunately that means buying new as opposed to used. We did the same with the 4 Runner because used, low milage ones cost almost as much as new.

Subarus are so pervasive in Central Oregon they simply can't be used as a stereotype for a certain personality. (back on topic) My stereotype of an a--hole driver is one who drives a bimmer!

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

oldranger wrote:My stereotype of an a--hole driver is one who drives a bimmer!

Mike
What the heck is a bimmer??
Living On Kaweah Time
austex
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by austex »

Bimmer:
BMW "Black Magic Woman?"
Beemer
The list goes on.... :lol:
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Back in our 20's we were a combination of the Full Attic Backpacker, Close-Friends, Naked Backpacker and at times the Non-Stop-Party but fortunately we had The Doctor (although still in med school at the time) in the mornings. Most have moved on to the Sherpa-Dad or unfortunately a few of The Dinks (Dual Income No Kids).

But even way back then we carried out our trash. . .
dinkey days.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I did the Sherpa-Dad for a few years. Before kids, I was a dirtbag -full kitchen sink fisherman. After Sherpa-Dad, I was a SICK (single income, costly kids) using the same old gear I had for 30 years. This year, I'm a STKIOH [screw the kids, I'm outa here (or out hiking, whatever)]. Now, I'm just a dirtbag with new gear.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
iHartMK
Topix Regular

Post by iHartMK »

austex wrote:Bimmer:
BMW "Black Magic Woman?"
Beemer
The list goes on.... :lol:
Oh okay, that makes sense.
Living On Kaweah Time